Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

What If You're Too Shy to Get Dates? - Part 3

Dear Bro Jo,

Well, I try to talk with people. For example, at the beginning of the semester I decided I wanted to meet more people. I talked with a few people, and a few guys I might be interested in. They talked with me, they said hi for a few days when they saw me walking around school. And now, guess what?

Nothing. Most of them pretend they don't know me. They stop talking with me for no apparent reason, and I just can't find a way of starting talking with them again. And it is something that ALWAYS happens. And when it happens with some guy I was interested in, they always start hanging out with some girl after they stop talking with me. It got to a point that I can already see it happening every time I meet someone new.

To prove my point, here is something that happened recently:

A few weeks ago I met a guy. He introduced himself to me and was very charming. I thought he was cute, but I had to go to class so I didn't think too much about it. About a week later he saw me at school again and came talk with me. We talked for a few minutes and he asked for my number and, of course, I gave it to him. A few days later we saw each other again and he was with some friends. He said "we should go on a date on the weekend" and I said yes. He said he would contact me to plan on doing something and he never did. He is after another girl now.

I don't understand it. If I say yes, they will think I'm too easy. If I say no, it isn't helpful at all because if I want to go out with the guy, why would I say no? Does it make sense?
I haven't been asked on a date in a very very long time. The one guy who did ask me out, did it because he wanted to add one more name on his list. I know that guys like when they have competition, but I can't even pretend I have a lot of guys after me. And, it affects my self esteem and confidence, which make things even worse.

 - Too Shy




Dear Shy,

Sometimes we have to fight to stay positive.

Sister Jo says the best way to do that is to be of service to other people.

Stop dwelling on the bad and frustrating things in your life (hard to do sometimes, I know) and instead look for the positive stuff, the blessings, the things to be grateful for.

You may be pleasantly surprised when you learn just how attractive other people find those that are happy and positive.

- Bro Jo

No comments: