Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Should She Date the Non-member

Dear Bro Jo,

I'm fifteen and a half, and I was asked out by a non-member. Here is the conversation (on Facebook):

Boy: Hey, I've been meaning to ask you this for a few months now. Will you go out with me? I'd like to get to know you better. I feel like I don't know you well enough for the amount of time I've known you. I'd ask you in person but I have no idea what your schedule is like.

Me: Yeah! I'd like to! But, I can't until I'm sixteen (Sept. this year). Also, it has to be a group date, and the date has to include having dinner with my parents. So, if you don't mind waiting another eight months, yes I will go out with you. And thank you for asking!

Boy: Thank you! I'm willing to wait as long as I need to, and I'll follow any rules your parents set.

After that, we kept in contact to find out more about each other. One of the questions he asked was "What are you looking forward most to this year?" I gave him my answer and then he responded with "I'm really looking forward to dating you"

Later, he sent "I'm gonna be very happy in seven months"

Sincerely,

- Sprite




Dear Sprite,

Is he creepy or do you like him?

Because if you like him and he's willing to follow The Rules, I say Casual Group Date him!

If he's creepy . . . well, that's a slightly different story.  You'd certainly want to discourage him by ceasing the "contact".

- Bro Jo

No comments: