Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Keeping the Girl - Part 2: Don't Let Her Get Away

Hey again Bro. Jo,

Your point is well taken. I completely understand what you're getting at here.

To answer your question about how I feel, this girl is not just someone I want as a backup plan.

She is THE plan, and believe me, I considered just staying here for the summer and bailing on my job, but I need the money terribly and given that we've only known each other for so long, I just didn't think it was logical to take a chance like that.

I don't believe in love at first sight, but going on just one date with her helped me understand so much of what was going on in my life; things I needed to change, lessons that Heavenly Father wanted me to be learning, it was the most spiritual experience I've had on a date, and all we were doing was talking!

I think it's kind of subjective to be thinking that I can't possibly live without her, because I don't believe in the proverbial "one" either, but I can't think of any reason I wouldn't want to continue dating her.

And it wasn't like I was just hoping and praying that this would happen on the date in the first place.

I just took her out to have a good time.

But she has made such a strong impression on me that regardless of whether or not we're together in the future, I'll remember her.

So, to better answer your question, it does pain me to think that in four months she could start dating someone else and be engaged to some really lucky dude, but I don't know to what degree she feels the same way towards me.

And I know that she won't be my only chance at eternal happiness.

I know I've got her attention, because she really wants to go out again, but again, I guess it just feels wrong to me to ask her to go out on a limb like that.

But like you say, when you find one who might possibly be willing to spend eternity with you, you don't want her to get away.

Thanks for your advice! It is much appreciated!

-Summer bound in Chicago instead of Nevada



Dear Chicago,

Hey again.

And there's your answer.

Forget "fair"!

Who cares about "fair"?

Doing what's best is not always about what's "fair".

I don't believe in "the one" either, although I did use that line to hang on to Sister Jo when we were dating.

Spend every moment you can with her, and when the time is right (hopefully very soon) tell her what you've told me.

And, again, good luck.

- Bro Jo

No comments: