Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, October 29, 2012

Texting Too Much - PART 2

Dear Bro Jo,

So firstly, just to clear a few things up:

The texts themselves weren't inappropriate in content or anything, it was just the volume of texts being sent. 

And I may as well just tell you the whole story too.

I go to school with this guy. I'd never spoken to him 'til I started working with him. It was school holidays so we would Facebook or text a lot.

After about two months I was told he liked me and wanted to ask me out. Over Facebook (yes I know, I know it should have been face to face) I spoke to him and he ended up saying yes he liked me, that he knew I couldn't have a boyfriend, and would I go to formal with him.

I said I would.

Then school started again and we never managed to actually talk to each other at school.

We would smile or say hi but never properly talk.

Then about a month later there were a few friendship conflicts regarding formal and one day he said sorry, but he wasn't going to take me to formal after all.

We stopped talking completely after a week.

3 months later (after formal) and he started talking to me again.

And kinda flirting just like before. And that pretty much brings us up to now.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm thinking I probably wouldn't want him to call anyway.

So maybe a message more like - "I'm giving up on this texting. If you want to talk to me then it’s gonna have to be in person."??

Thanks again for the help.

Oh and I was wondering where the "forty" came from?

- Forty



Dear Four-T,

Your original post was signed with four T's.  (Get it???)

I'm glad to hear that quantity was the issue, not content, but either way I think the Spirit is telling you something.

I think the message you have in mind is fine.

It makes me sad that so many people (not just young people) don't (or won't) talk to each other without hiding behind technology.

I honestly think it may be the reason why so many people are unmarried.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Yeah. I'm hoping it does some good.

But he got mad.

Oh well it's what I wanted right?

Thanks

- Forty



Dear Forty,

Well . . . You probably didn't want him to get mad . . . It was just very likely.

I'm curious what each of you said.

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Yes.

Pity I still have to see him at school and work.

Well at first I just said the message I told you.

And then he wanted to know why.

I said there was no point when we didn't even talk to each other etc.

And it kinda just continued for a bit.

It was dumb.

He was angry.

And I tried to say sorry.

But oh well I'm over it now.

Thanks for your help.

I feel rewarded as I have been asked by a nice guy to the Priests and Laurels Ball :)

- Forty




Dear Forty,

Things always seem to work out.

Have fun!

- Bro Jo

No comments: