Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, March 4, 2013

She and Her Boyfriend Are Getting Too Physical - Part 1

Dear Bro Jo,

I visit your blog when I need advice but was always scared to email. Scared that I might hear something that doesn't apply to me because it is much easier to ignore, advice if it wasn't given specifically to you.

I am 20 and have a boyfriend.

I had a moment where I thought I had lost myself.

I have always been a good girl, obedient and faithful. I have a testimony of obedience and know that even if I don't understand, I will always be blessed. It is because I have faith in the Savior and his love for me.

I like to simplify things and see things as black and white, right and wrong.

I want this relationship to work.

We match on every front.

He was once spiritually strong but something happened and now he is struggling.

I want to help him but don't know how to do it.

Sometimes I have to compensate for him and regrettably I must say, compromise myself. I know that he wants to be better and that by drawing near to God we will draw nearer to each other.

I know this but don't exactly understand how, I feel that if I did know how then I could better communicate it to him.

He says that we wants all the best for this relationship one that is centered around God and that he wants to choose the right and just simply be obedient and I genuinely believe he is being completely honest with me.

When it comes down to it, he falters and does things contrary to what we want. I wanted to know what young couples starting a new relationship could do to draw closer together and feel our Savior's love?

I want a wholesome relationship.

Thank you and I hope you understand.

From,

- The Girl Who Wants to Feel Loved and on the Path Again



Dear Wants,

Can you help an old guy out a little?

Your email is pretty vague.

How long have you two been dating? How old is your boyfriend? Is he a pre-missionary, post missionary, or not gonna go?

What happened that he's now struggling?

What is he struggling with?

What is it that he's doing?

And what do you mean when you say that you need to "compensate" for him?

 - Bro Jo

No comments: