Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, September 9, 2013

Dating While Only 17 at the Y

Dear Bro Jo,

It's me again!

So I'm 16 right now, and I love reading your blog. I just started my senior year and it's way fun so far.

But recently I've been reading your age difference column, and I can't help but think about the future!

I plan on applying to BYU-Provo in October, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it.

The thing is that I'm going to be just over 17 or 17 and a half when I start college, depending on which track I decide to go for, and I'm confused.

When I get to college am I supposed to hide from the world and not date for a few years?

Should I tape a sign on my back saying "I'm only 17!!" and shun all males that try to talk to me??

Because right now, I have no problem dating some of the people who are just sophomores in high school because some of them are the same age as me...and wouldn't it be inappropriate if I was in college going on dates with people still in high school??

Sincerely,

The Young One




Dear Young One,

No, I wouldn't say you should hide from the world . . . but I do think that 17 is too young for Serious Single Dating.

Until you're ready, I don't see a problem with you continuing to go on Casual Group Dates, even with guys still in High School.

Perhaps after a year of college, once you turn 18 or so . . . then you'll be ready.

Have fun at school!

- Bro Jo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was in the same situation when I started at the Y. I was super uncomfortable at first, but once I realized a) I didn't want any serious dating and b)most of the guys I went on dates didn't want any either (they were all premies), it became a LOT less awkward and way more fun. Don't stress it too much. :) You're going to love it here!

Bro Jo said...

Of course now aren't there a lot fewer (if any) Pre Mi's?

Bro Jo

Anonymous said...

Going to a college takes time to get use to. I'm sure you'll be ready to date seriously in 6 months. Just enjoy getting to know people. I still went on big group dates in college and we had a lot of fun. A group date takes off all the pressure to impress and lets you get to know someone on a more casual basis. If you like the guy then flirt and get him to ask you on a single date.

Anonymous said...

I was 17 when I graduated from high school. I ended up not starting college for another year anyway, but the year I was just working I would have loved to begin serious dating, only there wasn't anyone really doing such a thing where I was. My parents told me specifically that they were okay with me dating returned missionaries at that point. Yes, it doesn't happen often, but if you're out of high school, then there's actually no difference between you and the other serious daters just because of your age (although I understand that you're not really looking for a relationship). The question I asked my mom one day that year was, if so many people had spent the time I was a Laurel telling me that my biggest goal in life should be to be a wife and mother and this was the most important thing I could do and I shouldn't start other things that would conflict with that when it happened, why were they all suddenly telling me now that I was out of high school, that I shouldn't think about dating seriously, but instead should start a career of some kind and go "do my own thing for a while" before starting this most important thing? I felt very discriminated against because the pressure on me was so hard and I think it was because I was less than 18, although they were telling all the 18 year olds that graduated when I did the same thing. It didn't even make logical sense if you thought about it.

Anonymous said...

You are fogetting the legal aspect of the issue. A person who is 17 is still considered a child and dependant where an 18 year old can be independant and their parents will not be held accountable for their choices. Every child is different but the law has drawn the line at 18.

Bro Jo said...

@ Anon,

Not forgetting at all . . . and you're not entirely correct.

When it comes to marriage:
http://family.findlaw.com/marriage/state-by-state-marriage-age-of-consent-laws.html

There's a gap, and it's not consistent across the country or around the world, but "adults" are allowed to date minors.

There are no legal consequences if a 21-year old person wants to date a 17-year old . . . anywhere, I think.

- Bro Jo