Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Getting a Guy to Ask You Out

Dear Bro Jo,

I really like this guy in my Tuesday evening Art class, but I'm shy and kind of traditional, so I can't ask him out. We talk and flirt (I think) and I think he likes me, but he hasn't asked me out. What can I do?

- Desperate for a Date


Dear DD,

Start by remembering that you're a girl! And as such you have all the power; the Good Lord made you that way (if it wasn't true Adam would still be alone in the Garden).

Remember, guys are dumb (I know, I are one); that means subtlety doesn't work on most of us. Be blunt! Here are some things that work (as offered by Sister Johnston and other girls who successfully manipulated yours truly):
  1. Say it! "So when are you going to ask me out?" Even guys who didn't realize they were interested can be lead with this one.
  2. Whine. "You know what's wrong with this school? None of the guys are brave enough to ask a girl out. I haven't been asked out in a long time". A little subtle, but it baits the hook.
  3. Compliment. "You're such a great guy! I wish a guy like you would ask me out!"
  4. Suggest - strongly. "You need to go out on more dates. There's a great movie out this Friday . . . you should take a girl to it! You know, like me!" (batting one's eye lashes, leaning in close and touching him on the arm as you say "like me" are all good ideas here.
  5. Lead him. "So, is this the moment in the conversation where you say "would you like to take me to the dance?' and I say 'I'd be totally thrilled to go with you!' and you feel warm and fuzzy inside because I'm a wonderful girl"? If the hint isn't strong, he's not going to get it.
  6. The obvious set up. "So, what would a girl have to do to let you know she really wanted you to ask her out?" Then, so long as he's not an unreasonable jerk, do word-for-word exactly what he says. Right away so the obviousness is not lost.

I know for a shy girl acting with this much confidence is frightening, but let me assure you that you have the power. He likes you already! If he didn't he wouldn't be talking to you. We men can be that shallow, you know.

Stop sitting home Friday nights. Take a little initiative.

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

btengelsen said...

Bro Jo,

I love your writing style. This is way too much fun to read. Consider me one of your new regular readers.

Ben Tengelsen