Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Good Guy Break-up

Dear Bro Jo,

What about break-up advice for Nice Guys? I'm 24 and have been seeing this girl (mutually exclusive) for about six weeks. We met here at BYU when I moved into her Ward this last semester. I think she's great, but I'm just not "in love" with her. My roommate thinks I'm an idiot for wanting to break things off, but I think I'd better hurry and do it before it becomes any more serious (the pressure to get married here is unbelievable!).

I don't want to hurt her feelings . . . what should I say?

- How at the Y


Dear How,

You ARE a good guy! (See, Sisters? There are still some left!)

I feel for you, and you're absolutely right, much better now than later, especially at Get-Married University - the longer you wait, the more everyone around you will think an engagement is pending, and that may include this nice young lady.

Here's what you do: talk, in person. Tell her exactly what you've told me. "I think you're great, but I'm not 'in love' with you. Everyone, including my roommate, thinks I'm an idiot, but I just don't think it's right to tie you to a relationship if I'm not in that place right now."

Don't burn the bridge (lest once you've lost her you realize you've made a huge mistake), take the responsibility upon yourself (don't blame her - EVEN IF SHE ASKS WHAT SHE'S DONE WRONG - you'll never get out of that trap a winner - say "Nothing! You're great! It's all me."), be sincere, and be prepared for her to marry your roommate - you are at the Y after all . . .

If you treat her right, even in the break up, you'll be better off.

And again, you're right, do it now.

Regarding the "marriage pressure" at the Y - I know it exists, there's nothing you or I can do about it. Don't let it get to you, but keep dating. You'll find the right girl soon enough.

- Bro Jo

No comments: