Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Are 19 and 25 too far apart?

Dear Bro Jo,

So let’s get straight to my problem.

I’m a nineteen year old girl and I just finished my second semester of school at BYU-I and now I’m off track for the next five months. I have only been home for a week and for some reason my guy friend chose now to tell me that he likes me.

Now I like him too but there are three problems that I can see with this relationship. First, now that we aren’t in school he lives across the country and I don’t know if long distance is a great idea. Next, he just turned 25 and I don’t know if I should be getting in a relationship with a guy that much older then me. Finally, my last relationship was two months ago and I’m not sure if I’m over my last guy yet.

Now once again I would like to say that I do like this guy a lot but I don’t know if I like him enough to deal with the problems that are involved with this relationship. The last thing I want to do is break this guys heart because I really do care about him! So what should I do? Should I pursue the relationship and see what happens or should I end our relationship now while it’s still early and we can concentrate on the people in our own towns and single wards?

Thank you!

- Take a chance?


Dear Chance,

Hey the only way to not break this guy's heart will be either to make him want to date someone else or to marry him. As I've said so many times before, the "friendship" was destined to end one way or the other.

One summer isn't too long to wait for someone, but I think you should go on dates with the guys at home that ask. Keep communicating with your School Guy and don't make any promises or commitments to anyone at home until you've had a chance to go to school and see if there really are sparks between the two of you.

For the record, I don't think 19 and 25 are that far apart, a bit of a stretch, yes, but 20 and 26 are even less of an issue, especially if you care for someone as much as you seem to this guy. Does that make sense?

Stop making excuses.

- Bro Jo


Dear Bro Jo,

Thank you! You are a lot of help!

- Chance

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just married in June and my husband and I are 8 years apart. I'm 19 and he's 27 and you really don't notice the age difference when you really care about each other.