Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Game

Here it goes Bro Jo,

This must be a really fun past time, a time consuming one to be sure, but kinda fun. Just know that you are truly appreciated :0)

I was just reading your latest posts and a couple caught my attention, I clicked on your "How a girl can get a guy to ask her on a date" link and read the suggestions. Now, I have a rather outgoing type of personality and in relationships I usually scare the guy away, or become the best friend... so kind of both of the extremes. I don't particularly like "the game" unless I'm winning, but winning takes patience. Anyway back to my point, the link I clicked on a read. You say to not be over bearing, aggressive, or forward; my question is, how are you suggestions not all of those things?

I would think flat out saying to a guy that he should ask you out would be kind of intimidating for them. Don't get me wrong, I would do it, but I don't think I would have very good luck. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of "the game" so not playing would be my favorite choice.

All in all, how do these date getting plans not scare a guy?

:0) Thinking too hard



Dear Thinking,

What can I say? I'm a sucker for helping young people. (And thanks for the encouragement!)

You make a fair point, but the difference between what I suggest and "overbearing aggressiveness" is in the delivery. The other thing to remember is that a lot of what I right, while true and effective, is also written with humor. You've got to find the approach that's right for you. The "Compliment" and "Lead Him" suggestions might work best for you; neither are too bold.

As for "the game", I'm tempted to point out to you the adage that "you can't win if you don't play!", but I also understand where you're coming from. You want to be honest and sincere, right? And you feel like "game playing" is the opposite of that, right?

But I argue that this whole process is supposed to be fun, so lighten up and enjoy!

Instead of being intimidating, try being a little fun and flirty.

- Bro Jo




Bro Jo,

I try really I do, and I sure hope I am getting better... but to be completely honest, rejection gets so tiring and really causes me to get down in the dumps. I do play, because, like you said... I have to. I guess I just don't know when is the point that I give encouragement... does that make sense? Um, how do I know that he likes me enough to even want encouragement? Yeah yeah that is what I meant... Shanks!

:0) Thinking too much... again





Dear Thinking,

Well . . . you don't use the "How a Girl Can Get a Guy to Ask Her Out" stuff on strangers.

You'll know that he likes you enough because he talks to you a lot, or keeps asking you to dance, or stares . . . stuff like that.

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Okay, I am one of those outgoing girls that gets acused a lot about being a flirt. I have to admit, I used the Bro Jo line, "What does it take for an amazing man like you to ask out a wonderful woman like me?" twice. Both men were pretty good friends in that I'd known both for years through different wards I've been in.

The first time I used that line, the guy laughed and said, "you'll never wanna know!" I said try me, but he just changed the subject.

The second time I tried out the line during a lively conversation about dating. His eyes about popped right out of their sockets while his jaw crashed to the floor. Ya. He didn't recover. finally I just laughed and said I was kidding.

I haven't quite mastered the entire getting a guy to ask me out thing. I guess I need more practice. lol.

No! What I really need is a guy to own it and ask me himself without all those "hints". I mean seriously!