Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Patriarchal Power

Hi Bro Jo!

I was the Optimistic girl, the one all my friends looked to for a smile when they needed it. Then I was born down with this massive trial that seemed like it just kept growing and nothing worked to make me happy. Then just yesterday I decided to try a new tactic on life. I took out my Patriarchal Blessing and wrote down ALL of the positive attributes that Heaven sees in me. I was really awe struck to see just how much Heaven believes in me because very few people believe in me. Then later that night as I was still pondering on it and listening to a song that has been helping me feel happy again, My Sister made a comment to me that helped finish it. She said that she could totally see what I guy would see in me because I am pretty. Now I am looking at life in a whole new way and I'm beginning to enjoy the happiness that was mentioned in my Patriarchal Blessing. :)

Nevertheless, there is still one thing that is semi bothering me and I was wondering if I could get some advice on it. A year and a half ago one of my Sunday school teachers left on his mission. I almost immediately had a distinct impression from the Holy Ghost to write him. I wrote him a Letter thanking him for being a great Sunday school teacher and encouraged him to continue to serve the Lord. I tried my best to write an uplifting and inspiring letter as I have every time since. Some people say that once a week is too much but he seems to like the mail and encourages me not only to continue but he encourages and inspires me in every aspect of life. He makes me feel special and like Someone does believe in me. He especially makes me smile. I guess the problem would be that another girl in my ward likes him too and between her and her Mom they are trying to set me (17 year old) up with RM's. Which, I feel just adds to our complications in being friends as I have felt like she has been jealous of me from the get-go.

I guess as minor as this may seem It has been the main point of my sorrow lately. How can I get others to know that even if I think often about marriage in the Temple, that writing this missionary was inspired from God and all I'm looking for is a Best Friend that in no way is perfect but is trying to be like Jesus? Its the thing most often on my heart.

I normally leave my Testimony at the end of my letters. This is what I have learned from my Trials this past year:

I know That God Lives and Loves me! I know he died for me to bless and help me. He walks by me and blesses me with his love. He hears and answers my Prayers and will not leave me comfortless. This life is the Test and If we can endure it well, Not perfect but the best we can, we can all return to live with him because it is in his love for us and in his stripes we are healed and we are perfected through his loving grace. He is my Best Friend in Heaven who will never go forgotten in my eyes.
I often think about meeting Him and the Prophet. Someday I will meet them but until then I continue to Persevere. I LOVE LIFE!! :D

And just one more thing: Some people think Its crazy that my one dream is to see the prophet face to face and be able to talk to him. I know that when I find that Best Friend that things won't be perfect and they won't all be easy to bear but they will be easier, because I will have someone to talk to and I will never have to live wondering how much I am really loved. I also feel really subdued and humble when I get told that I may be the Prophets wife someday because it has always been my dream. I know that in the loving arms of someone as gentle and kind as the prophet that anyone can feel safe and that’s another thing I have wanted all my life. I have written a few poems on these spiritual matters actually. I enjoy writing poems based on spiritual matters especially on 'Faith' :)

Can I get some ideas on how to enjoy life? I would really love another person's P.O.V on things.

Thank You!

~ K ~


Dear K,

I think the best way to enjoy life is to A) be grateful for all that Heavenly Father has given us (like opportunity, life, health, and faith), and B) be of service to others. Gratitude helps us to be humble; it helps us to feel loved and to see God in all things. Service helps us to feel better about ourselves, to recognize that everyone has trials, and to realize that our own trials are temporary.

Keep reading your patriarchal blessing; it will give renewed insight every time you ponder it prayerfully.

As for your letter writing, you clearly have a crush on this guy. I know it, you know it, everyone who reads this column knows it . . .

That's okay, as long as you still go out with other guys that ask (the non-scary ones at least). In general I think once a week is too much given your relationship with him. I'd say once a month is more the right pace. Don't cut him off, but slow it down a little. Maybe instead of writing him the same day you get a letter from him wait a couple days. 100 letters from one girl while a guy is gone is too many.

Thanks for sharing your testimony.

I hope he's smart enough to ask you out (if you're still single) when he comes home.

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about the rest of the world but that girl sounds like she has the perfect plan. My parents were best friends a long time before they were married. And they met in college (just so you know).
Looking at my future, I want the same thing. To find my best friend. :)