Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Dating to Convert

[Readers - the following is a follow-up to the column originally posted on October 6. You can jump to the original post by clicking HERE.]

Hey Bro Jo!

I saw you posted my story, which I think is kind of cool actually!

I just thought I'd let you know how I'm doing.

As of the last few months I've gotten my call to (location withheld)! And also was released from being a Branch Missionary and am now the Branch Mission LEADER! It's really crazy, but I love it so much, and I've learned what revelation really feels like.

As for girls, I'm now playing a new game! I have this friend-who-is-a-girl from high school who is Baptist, after General Conference (SUCH a good conference) we were chatting and she asked me what I did over the weekend, well I told her about conference and we talked a lot about things like prophets and the nature of God. She was surprised by my quick answers and asked to know more, so I asked if she wanted to have dinner, and I could answer more of her questions!

It's sneaky, I know, and I'm not actually interested in her as far as relationships go, but recently I stopped missing my ex-girlfriend almost all together. I attribute this solely and completely to the Atonement. Many people believe it only covers sins, but it also can take away our guilt, addictions and even sorrow! Repentance is the act of changing, and if you're honest, the Lord will make up the difference you cannot!

I love being in a position to help others come close to the gospel, and the missionaries call my home EVERY NIGHT with miracles that have occurred for them or others in the Zone (a group of areas in a mission for those unfamiliar with the Mission breakdown)

Your advice makes a difference, and i'm glad for agency that can teach us so much! God Speed Bro Jo.

One Year Wiser! (and closer to salvation)



Dear Wiser,

I think your story will help and inspire others, and I appreciate your testimony of personal revelation.

I think your new "game", though, is a very bad idea.

There's nothing wrong with sharing the Gospel, and nothing wrong with taking a girl to dinner to talk about General Conference, but you shouldn't try to flirt people into conversion. Sure, lot's of great people have been lead to Church membership because of an attraction, but lot's have left once the attraction has gone away. If our goal is to bring people unto Christ, I think it works best if we don't confuse the feelings of the Spirit with the emotions of attraction.

I hope that makes sense. I don't mean to be discouraging, and I appreciate the testimony you've shared. It's okay to ask out a girl (when you're NOT serving a mission) who isn't a member so long as you understand that marrying outside of your faith is not a good idea. If that girl joins the Church for her, not for you, and you end up together, that's great! But is NOT okay to "trick" a girl into thinking you like her so she'll investigate the Church. I hope you understand the difference.

Good luck, elder, and God bless.

- Bro Jo

No comments: