Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Can a High School Guy Ask Out a University Girl?

G'day Bro Jo,

I've got a question that might seem silly, so I'm coming to you for some more of your brilliant advice :)

The way it works in my part of Australia (one of the East Coast states), the catchment of kids entering school is from May 1- April 30 of the following year, which can result in some kids being the same age as you, born in the same year but in the grade above you at school. Church-wise it means they remain in the youth program despite being in university (college- Aussies generally shorten it to uni), where most members are YSAs.

I find myself with a question when looking for potential dates. Being in my second-last year of high school (I think it's called senior high in the States), there's plenty of YW in the neighbouring stakes who are born in the same year as me but are in their final year of high school and are moving into uni next year.

It begs to ask the question- should the gap between current educational level be ignored if they're the same age and still in the youth program, or is asking a YW university student out on a date whilst I'm still in high school going too far?

Thanks,

Aussie Mate



Dear Aussie,

Not silly at all.

I think you can ignore the scholastic level; go ahead and ask out those girls that are the same age (plus or minus a year, so long as they're 16 or older) regardless of where they go to school.

That doesn't mean they'll say yes; a girl in university may not have any interest in a guy still in high school (she may be ready for Serious Single Dating, while you, my friend, should still be Casual Group Dating), but I say give it a shot!

For the record, I'm a little more weirded out when a guy who's graduated asks out a girl still in high school. If they're the same age, or within a year, that's okay, but more of a gap than that and I think he falls into predatory territory (say that 5 times fast).

(Also for the record, I think girls can be predatory, too.)

- Bro Jo

No comments: