Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Patriarchal Blessing

Bro Jo,

I'm 16, almost 17, years old and something I've been wondering about lately is if I'm ready for my patriarchal blessing or now. I realize it's a big responsibility to take on. I just haven't been sure if I'm ready for it yet. So I wanted to ask you what your opinion on when members should receive their blessing and if you could tell me more about the process of the interview for the blessing and etc.

Thank you,

- Name Withheld



Dear Reader,

A patriarchal blessing IS a personal thing, but I disagree that it's a Big Responsibility or something that should be delayed until one has a high Gospel Literacy Rate. Only you will know if you're "ready", but let me share with you some points:

- your patriarchal blessing won't necessarily be more insightful or spiritual just because you're older
- the blessing will mean different things to you, you'll feel, learn, and interpret things differently as you read it over the years
- there is no set age when one should get one

Sister Jo and I have encouraged our children to receive their blessing as they're about to enter high school, typically at 14 or 15. We feel that high school is a tumultuous time and that a blessing from the patriarch can be a much needed guide post when navigating those years.

But that's us.

The process is this: when you feel it's time, set an appointment with your Bishop to receive a Patriarchal Blessing Recommend. It's similar to a youth Temple Recommend and so is the interview. I'm not certain that one has to be pure or particularly worthy, but I think having your life in the right place will help both you and the patriarch. Once you have the recommend you call the patriarch (or his wife, who may very likely be the person that sets his appointments). Make an appointment. The patriarch in our stake likes parents to be present at the blessings; if that's the case in your stake, make sure your parents are able to go; it's a pretty wonderful time, spiritually speaking.

Your patriarchal blessing will be special, and I think that specialty is maintained if you keep it private and personal. I've shared mine with Sister Jo and the Jo kids when they were blessing age. That's it.

Other than that, the "standard answers" apply: pray, ponder, and go with the Spirit. You can never go wrong with those!

- Bro Jo

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few years ago I was pondering the same question, then at EFY we had a devotional that hit me like a rock. We may be putting off getting our Patriarchal Blessing because we don't feel like we're good enough or we need to get better. Yes, we need to prepare ourselves spiritually, but we shouldn't wait until we're "perfect" to get it, because, frankly, that day may not ever come. A PB is to help and guide us. Why deny yourself the opportunity to help you understand your purpose, your gifts, strengths, weaknesses, blessings and most importantly who you are as a child of God? It's important to prepare, but don't let weaknesses discourage you from getting your PB. It will be an amazing experience and will bless your life in the years to come as you follow that counsel.

Danielle said...

I was 27 when I received my Patriarchal Blessing. I had returned to church the year before after a 'short break' and I was ready for the guidance. I prayed and fasted over the things I wished to know and I received the answers. My Patriarchal Blessing is just amazing to me. Every time I read it, I can almost hear Heavenly Father in my ear saying the things I'm reading.

To the writer, if you are beginning to feel you should have one, go and talk to your Bishop, he will be able to guide you.

Remember Heavenly Father knows us better than we know ourselves. He will tell you the things you will need to know. The Holy Ghost will guide you.

Mille said...

I've heard it said that if you're thinking about it, if you're trying to decide whether or not it's time - then it's time. The only reason it could hurt is if you wouldn't appreciate it, and would abuse or neglect it. It doesn't sound like that's the case here - it sounds like you respect and understand how important a blessing is.

I was barely 12 when I got mine. My parents had told me that the usual age was 15, but I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I went in. Come to find out, in less than a year some serious trials hit me hard and I needed that blessing more than I can tell you.

Trust your instincts, but more importantly, pray and trust what you feel. You'll do the right thing. :)

Anonymous said...

It's true, you shouldn't let imperfections stop you from getting your blessing. However, you might want to prepare for it by making sure you are temple worthy, and repent of any past mistakes. It is said that when you are ready to get it, the feeling will hit you like a rock and you won't be able to stop thinking about it. Learn about the importance of patriarchal blessings and what they are. Study your scriptures, pray, fast, and prepare yourself spiritually. If the spirit tells you it's time, then go set an appointment. You will find joy and blessings through its guidance.

Melissa said...

I agree, the time you start to think about "Should I" is the time to prepare. Last year, Someone off hand mentioned Patriarchal blessings, and i realized i was the only one in my ward with out one, i thought i should get it. I wasn't getting it for the right reasons, and, funny story: I misplaced my recommended. This year I considered it carefully and I have an appointment set up tomorrow. I am 19. The timing is different for every one.