Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dating Someone at Work

Dear Bro Jo,

I'm back again! Sorry if you are getting sick of me...

I have another question though.

I just got a casual job and on my first day I met this guy who goes to my school. Since that training we have talked a bit on Facebook and whenever I see him at work. Any way the fact is I like him. And he's really sweet, but he's not a member of the Church. I don't think he likes me yet, but I want to know what I can do if he does. What can I do if he asks me out? I like him so I wouldn't want to say no, but he's not a member so my conscience wouldn't want me to say yes.

Is there any way I can explain to him that I'd love to group date? Or is it best just to forget all about it?

Thanks,

Indecisive in Australia.


Dear Indecisive,

Please remind me how old you are.

- Bro Jo


Dear Bro Jo,

I'm sixteen and a half :)

- Indecisive


Dear Indecisive,

Thank you! Very relevant.

There's nothing wrong with going on Casual Group Dates with non-members, and you're right: you're probably going to have to explain to him what that means. You could wait around for him to ask you out, if he does, and then explain that because of your age and the standards you're trying to keep, that you only Casually Group Date (get the book if you haven't already!), but that you'd love to go out with him in that setting.

Or (and I like this one better), depending on how much chitchat is okay at work; you introduce the topic (and perhaps even gain a missionary experience). You could start with the leading "so, do you go out on dates?", or perhaps the less forward "have you ever heard of Casual Group Dating", or even "so what's your philosophy on dating?"

Hopefully one of those will open up the discussion. If you try a few times and he never takes the bait, he's terminally shy, Very Inexperienced, or just not interested.

Either way, at least then you'll know!

- Bro Jo

No comments: