Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Sometimes When Things Don't Work Out . . . They Do

[Readers - The following correspondence is a followup to a column I posted called "A Poem for an RM". You can read it HERE. - Bro Jo]


Dear Bro Jo,

Hey there.

So I have another question for you, how long was it before you really came to fall in love with your wife? Were there initial sparks from date one, or did they develop gradually? Reason I ask is because there's girls that I'm really attracted to because of their outward appearance, but there's another girl I know that I'm not particularly attracted to, but really enjoy being around. I want to keep on dating her to see if anything develops, but part of me thinks that I'm just wanting something unrealistic to happen. I've learned that you can't really make yourself fall in love with someone, no matter how hard you try.

Thanks!

- RM

Dear RM,

Love and attraction are two different things, but eventually you realize that they don't have to be disparate.

Keep dating, you'll figure it out.

- Bro Jo



. . . eleven days later . . .



Dear Bro Jo,

Hi again.

Just wanted to say thanks again for your advice. Even though I actually haven't been able to go out with that girl I originally intended, it led me to a girl that I believe will be much better. Funny how life works. Some events we can predict, but what sends those events into motion sometimes are completely unpredictable. :)

- RM


Dear RM,

Amen.

- Bro Jo

No comments: