Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Working on Sunday

Dear Bro Jo,

So, there's this job. On my application I put that I would work any day or time, except Sunday.

They called and told me that they are only hiring people available to work one to two Sundays a month to be fair to all employees and if I would be willing to compromise that. I said no and they said that if I changed my mind I could call them back.

I feel like I did the right thing by saying no but I do need the job.

It's complicated.

Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,

Doubt




Dear Doubt,

I think you did the right thing, and your feelings confirm that.

Once the future Sister Jo was in the same situation. It was hard for her to turn the job down, but she did so graciously and felt so much better for doing so. A week later she got a call from the same company offering her a better paying job that came with Sundays off.

It doesn't always happen that exact way, but I do have a testimony that the Lord blesses us for keeping the Sabbath Day holy.

Unless you're saving lives, you should avoid working on Sundays whenever possible. You'll be glad if you do.

Hold to your standards.

- Bro Jo

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I think you're making the right choice, too. You might not see the blessings right away, but they will come if you remain faithful. Good luck with your job search and God bless!

Anonymous said...

How do you feel about this:
My friend has a job - he has graduated college and has a real career now. He signed the contract and they gave him Sundays off, until somebody left suddenly and now he has to work Sundays. In a month or 2, there will be more people working there and he will be able to have Sundays off then. But as of right now, he has not attended church since May because of his job. He is a fairly new member (about 18 months) and is having some testimony struggles. I'm not near him right now, so helping him is hard, but I know he could be helped if he could just attend church. He moved closer to his job since he last attended church, so I don't think he even knows what ward he is in - or if there is even a YSA ward nearby - and they don't know, either. He works 60+ hours a week and hasn't had time to contact anybody. He doesn't have home teachers or anybody who really knows he is there. His phone number also changed, so even if somebody in the church is trying to get a hold of him, they don't have his number. Is there anything I can do to help? It stinks being so far away and being unable to help him out. I worry for him a lot.
I have tried finding his ward through the LDS ward locator, but a ward assignment won't show up for his address. :(

Bro Jo said...

Before you do anything, talk to your friend and ask his permission to give his information to the local ward. Tell him you'd like to help and it's no trouble at all.

Then contact any ward in his general area armed with his address and they'll tell you which ward he's in.

From there contact his Elder's Quorum President.

The more information you can provide, the better.

To transfer his records into the correct ward they'll need his name and birth date. His current address and phone is also a great help.

Thank you for being your brother's keeper!

- Bro Jo

Minxy said...

I'm a nurse and above all the one thing I truly hate about my job is that I have to work Sundays. I know as an essential service I am 'allowed' to, but I always feel like I'm missing out. Also members in my ward think whenever I'm not there on a Sunday I'm working, even though I might be sick, on holidays or visiting another ward. People say to me, think of the money, but the money isn't that important when I'm missing church.

Unknown said...

Currently I work two jobs. Neither of them pay all that well but I need them both to keep my head above water. With one of my jobs I sometimes work Sundays. I told the manager in charge of scheduling not to have me work between 12 and 4 so I can still attend church. Usually I'm scheduled to work early morning so I'm off by 11 at the latest. I still faithfully attend church and perform all of my callings without much struggle. In a perfect world I wouldn't have to work at all on Sundays but unfortunately my financial situation doesn't allow for it. I'm sure God understands that I'm doing what I have to do.