Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Courage to Go See the Bishop - Part 1

Dear Bro Jo,

I'm so sorry to email you again!!

I really hope you can help me :).

I know I seem like I'm making things unnecessarily hard for myself but I'll explain!

Firstly, my life is pretty amazing at the minute I have an amazing family who support me so much!

I'm getting an education and I have some amazing friends!

The problem is I've done something's with a guy and I just can't bring myself to go and see my Bishop.

I feel like I should automatically want go and see him. . .

But I just really don't!

I've prayed about it but I just don't get the feeling I should go and see him.

I really don't know what to do!

I've got so many questions about the gospel and I think that might have something to do with it.

I do have a testimony but I've got so much I've got to work on and I find out for myself rather than just relying on other people!!

Thanks so much!!!!

- (Name Withheld)




Dear NW,

Alright, NW.

(And good morning, by the way.)

Help me help you.

What did you do?

And what are your questions about the Gospel?

And why do you think you're hesitant to go talk to your Bishop?

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Okay, thanks for getting back to me so soon!!

Well we did some pretty serious things . . . we didn't have sex we just did other things!

He touched me and I touched him.

I regret it now but I feel I regret it or the wrong reasons.

Firstly because I fell for an idiot and second I'm worth more than to act the way I have!!

I have so many questions, like tithing I just can't seem to find the faith to pay it!

I've prayed about it so many times and I just can't!

Also about seeing my Bishop!

I just feel like he barely knows me so it's weird confessing to a strange who I don't feel comfortable around!!!

And lastly I think I'm hesitant because I know I it's wrong but I just don't think it's the end of the world and I hate to that attitude because I normally disagree but I just can't shake it off!!

I've been thinking so much recently about life after death and I find it so hrs to comprehend! Thanks so much for your help!!!!

- NW




Dear NW,

NW . . . can you please remind me how old you are?

I seem to remember talking to you about focusing on Casual Group Dating and telling you that I thought you were too young to be in a "serious relationship".

Is this the same guy?


Sexual stuff is pretty powerful.

First of all, we like it. And it's supposed to be enjoyable!

The thing is, the stuff we do doesn't just lead to sex, it leads to Making Babies.

(I've always hated the phrases "making love" and 'having sex" because, well . . . the first one implies that's what two people do when they're "in love" - which can be the case, but isn't always - and they both leave out the "baby making" aspect.)

No "birth control" is 100% effective, and that's awful difficult to remember when one is in the moment and excited.

That's why the Lord gives us boundaries and advice about holding back until we're married.


I have a strong testimony of Tithing because I've personally seen the blessings that come into my life from being obedient to the Will of Heavenly Father.

I think Tithing is one of those principles that one must live in order to gain a testimony of it.

As we obey God's commandments he blesses us, and that includes us feeling the Spirit . . . and as you well know, you need the Spirit in your life a little bit more right now.


Take a look at how Satan is working on you!

Eating at your testimony a little bit here . . . a little bit there . . . doubting tithing . . . questioning the value of priesthood authority . . . helping you find yourself in situations where your hormones override your judgment . . .

See what's going on?

Satan gets us to stop doing the little things . . . paying tithing, going to Church, reading the scriptures, praying . . . and then we don't feel the Spirit like we ought to . . . and then it becomes more difficult to resist temptation.

- Bro Jo

No comments: