Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Is It OK to Date Your Best Friend's Sister?

Dear Bro Jo,

I want to say thank you for all the aswers you have given the youth of the church. It is great that somone wants to help us (: Your words has reached me here in Denmark, northen EU.

The Thing is that there is this girl, that is a very good friend of mine. And I wanted to ask her out, but she is also my best friends sister. I told my best friend that I liked her, and he said that he wasn't to happy about it but that he wouldn't stop me. I don't want to back stap my best friend, but I really like this girl. What should I do? I hope you can help me

- Confused Teenboy


Dear Teenboy,

Well . . . you're welcome!

And "Howdy, Denmark!"

I think you should ask her out, provided it's a Casual Group Date, you're both 16 or older, and you follow Bro Jo's DATING RULES For TEENS.

In fact, I think you should include the brother in the group, again, provided he's old enough.

See, that's one of the beauties of Casual Group Dating: there's no pressure or expectation that it means more than it should. You get to go out, have fun, get to know her better, treat her nice (in front of her brother) and there's no big Boyfriend-Girlfriend pressure - which you DON'T want right now.

Imagine what would happen to your friendship if you got into a too-serious-for-your-age relationship right now and then broke up . . . not good.

And, should she still be single when you've come home from a mission, then you won't have any breakups to overcome and may find that your best friend can also be your brother.

Have fun!

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I invited my brother out with me when I went out with a group of friends. 18 months later my brother and one of my very good friends are dating and planning on getting married. I like to think that I played a big part in that.

I think you should date her and invite her brother along, who knows what will happen.