Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Just a Sister?

Dear Bro Jo,

I have a huge, convoluted "unrequited love" situation I could tell you about, but before I decide to wear out my fingers with all that typing, I want to ask you two things:

1) Of the options you give for things girls can really be to their guy 'friends' you mention the 'sister and nothing's ever going to happen' option and how rare that is. Would you like to elaborate on how rare? Haha. Out of future date hope, back up plan, tool, not that close of a friend, or sister, I'm thinking future date hope or sister are most likely. I should be able to tell, I suppose, but I am too caught up with all this to see clearly anymore, I fear. Like I said, long story.

2) What are your general thoughts on unrequited feelings? Or currently/apparently unrequited, at least--and how can you tell?!

Thanks for all the great advice. I guess I still need some more though :)

Just a Sister?


Dear Sister,

1) Rare enough that I question its existence in any dimension we might label reality (although I did just get a letter from a Young Woman who serves in a military combat unit, and the men she serves with think of her as a "sister", or at least she thinks they do). If I were to rank them from top to bottom, in my opinion (not yet backed up by science, but perhaps someday . . .), I'd say this:


Bro Jo's List of 
IF HE CAN'T BE YOUR CLOSE FRIEND, HOW DOES HE REALLY SEE YOU?

1) Future Date Hope - He's Friendly, but really wishes he could date you some day, even if he'll never have the courage to act. = 60%


2) Back Up Plan - He's dating someone else, has a girlfriend (or wife), but confides in you, spends time with you . . . basically he's holding you in reserve "just in case". = 20%


3) Tool - You provide him with something he isn't getting elsewhere, physical or otherwise. = 15%


4) Not THAT Close of a Friend - You think you're pals, but to him you're not. He may just be a Nice Guy, or you may be blinded by your feelings for him. = 10%


5) Really more of a Sister = 0%

(A couple quick things about "Back Up Plan": a) it's really no different than "Future Date Hope", and b) I honestly think most guys don't think that far ahead)

2) How can you tell how he sees you? Ask your best friend; the one that will tell it to you straight rather than just tell you what you want to hear. Or, better yet, ask a close family member.

(You could ask the guy of course, but he may just lie.)

My General Thoughts are:

A) If you're a woman in a platonic relationship, it's your fault. You've made it too easy for him.

and B) Get out. If you're over 19 it's time to move on. You're wasting your time, and probably scaring off any guys with real potential.

How can you tell it's unrequited? Um, well, it's simple: has he kissed you? That's usually a pretty good sign that he has romantic feelings . . .

Of course, you could always just . . . oh . . . I don’t know . . . talk to him about it . . .

Communication is an amazing thing.

- Bro Jo

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm laughing so hard! I had a guy friend who was like a brother to me when I was at BYU-I. We had a perfect relationship. I had a computer and he had a car. I guess we fell into that tool category.

I set him up with my roommate and now they're married with two girls.

Sometimes guys think there is something going on when there isn't. Example: there was a guy in my ward who had to make a two hour bus ride to get to church. I figured that since he was on the way I would start picking him up and taking him home. Man! Soon I had people in the ward ask me how long we had been dating and telling me that he was going around tell ing people that we were dating! I had to put a stop to that. Poor guy had to resume taking the bus when he just couldn't accept the fact that I was only trying to help.

You're right, communication is SOOO important!

Mel said...

Was the percentages adding up to 105% on purpose? lol either way thanks for this and what you do

Bro Jo said...

@ Mel,

You know . . . I honestly don't remember! Could have just been bad math.

Thanks for reading and the kind words,

- Bro Jo