Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Beware the Post-Prom Stalker Girl

Dear Bro Jo

I have another question. I know I girl who goes to a charter school nearby. And she implied that she wanted to ask me to Prom.

Now with about any other girl I know I'd be more then happy to, but with her, I'm hesitant.

See she has a past that I won't go into the details and has gone to her bishop, now, everyone I know says that she's changed and is trying to be a better person, but whenever I'm around her, she acts almost like a stalker, and she still lies to me, A LOT.

Now I want to support her trying to be a good person, but I don't want to go on a date or (even hang around) someone who, to be blunt, makes me feel like I'm being stalked, what do I do?

Signed

a rock and a hard place


Dear Rock,

It's just a date, my brother. Go as a group, be a gentleman, follow the dating rules, and have fun.

Her past is none of our business unless she chooses to make it so. Who are we to hold another's mistakes against them when we ask forgiveness for ourselves?

If you're still worried, review my "Bro Jo's HOW a GUY CAN AVOID the BOYFRIEND DILEMMA" as a primer before you go.

- Bro Jo

PS.  OK, if she REALLY makes you uncomfortable, then you can always pull "thank you for the invitation, but I'm not able to go", or if a girl is particularly aggressive: "I'm flattered, but I'm a pretty old-fashioned guy, and only go out with girls when I do the asking"; but Be Careful!  You don't want to hurt her feelings or burn a bridge that you may later wish to cross.  As long as she follows the rules and you're in a group, I think you should go.

No comments: