Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Speechless

Dear Bro Jo,

I am a very bad conversationalist, especially when I'm with people I don't know. I do okay with my friends, but even with my friends I'm shy. I feel awkward when I don't know what to say to guys at stake dances and other things.

I worry that guys won't ever like me because I'm so awkward and quiet. I try to be outgoing and funny, but I just end up looking stupid. I don't know what to do! I'm almost to dating age and I want guys to like me, but what guy would like a girl who doesn't say a word? What kind of things can I say and talk about?

What can I do to not be so quiet and awkward so guys will like me?

Sincerely,

Speechless



Dear Speechless,

Being a good conversationalist is an important skill, and for most of us it takes quite a bit of practice to develop it.

So, first of all, don't be too down on yourself - it takes time.

Secondly, worry less about being funny or outgoing (not everyone is a comic or a welcoming committee). Instead focus on being sincere. Think of conversations as an opportunity to learn; to learn more about you and more about the person with whom you're conversing. Ask them questions about them. Don't be to personal or "interview-y", but do listen to what they say so you can respond with an appropriate follow up. Being a good conversationalist isn't about cracking jokes, it's about listening and getting the other person to talk.

I wrote a column called "Stuff Guys Can Ask Girls About When Dancing"  - it really is a list that works both ways. Check it out!

Like anything in life, you'll become a more confident conversationalist if you practice, so get out there!

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I have just the opposite problem. I talk too much, too fast and usually about dumb things. And that's why I think guys don't start a conversation the second time. I wish I could be quieter. :(