Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Too Much to See

[Readers: I got this note in April, but am just having the opportunity to post it now. Even though the author references Spring, it's no less important a statement now that it's summer.]


Hey Brother Johnston!

I wasn't sure where to email you, but you emailed me on here once, so I thought here would work! As you may have noticed, spring is here! I absolutely LOVE spring! But there is one thing that I dislike intensely about it...immodesty! It's EVERYWHERE! I'm in Utah and it's bad. So I was just wondering if you could send a reminder to all your readers that despite the nice weather, remember your standards and be modest!

Thanks!

D


Dear D,

I’ll do better than that; I’ll post it as a Bonus Column!

Sisters, we men are visual creatures, and while we admit that works to give you an advantage over us, we humbly request that you help us keep our thoughts pure. As the weather gets warmer we know the amount of clothing worn will get fewer, and while our prurient selves are not complaining, please remember that if we’re ogling you we’re not thinking “she sure is a sweet girl; I’d like to introduce her to my parents”.

We want to stay friends with God, and when you're not wearing much it makes it easy to forget how he feels about the Natural Man.

We know this is more our problem than yours, but you're so . . . enjoyable to look at . . . we sure could use a little help.

Thank you,

 - Bro Jo (on behalf of The Good Guys)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a good guy from the east coast, I would definitely second this

Anonymous said...

It's a great point - but I hate the argument that girls need to dress modestly to save men from themselves. Yes, I know that it is a valid point, but it is not the only, or in my opinion the main reason! Do it because your body is a temple and should be treated as such. That should be good enough reason to cover up.

And dressing modestly applied to boys too. In FTSOY there are dress standards for boys too!

Bro Jo said...

OK, boys, pull up your pants and put a shirt on.

- Bro Jo

Anonymous said...

I just saw this and wanted to say for other sisters like myself, we are Gods creations and he is our Father, and wearing skimpy clothing is not saying that we recognize that we are daughters of God.