Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

You are 16, going on 17 . . .

Dear Bro. Jo,

I have an issue. I think that I like this girl however she is exactly 2 years younger that me (we have the same birthday). Anyway, I'm 17, making her 15. I would like to go on a date with her once she turns 16 but that would make me 18. I think that, at that age, I would be to old to ask her out. However, I have talked to a number of people and there have been mixed opinions. I was wondering if you could please help me out?

Sincerely,

Confused


Dear Bro. Confused,

I think 18 & 16 are fine, especially if you're still in the same school.

But even if you've graduated and she's still in High School, I see no problems with you taking her on some Casual Group Dates.

Stick to the Dating Rules.

And have fun!

- Bro Jo



Bro. Jo,

We don't even go to the same school, she's only in the ward that shares the same chapel as mine. Is that still alright? There is also another issue. I live in Australia and NO ONE goes on dates. As in ever. I have been on one. Even in the Church, dating is weird. What do I do? I don't want to freak her out or anything.

Sincerely,

Confused


Brother Confused,

Not only is it alright to date girls from other schools and wards, I can tell you from personal experience that it's GREAT!

(Imagine: less drama, less pressure, less gossip . . .)

It's not just you LDS Aussies that don't Casual Group Date as much as you can or should, that's a world-wide issue, and one that we're here to fix.

Perhaps what you need to do is start by getting a couple dating-age buddies together and start planning some Group Dates. Set a goal of going out once a month. Make these Casual Group Dates fun, no-pressure, guy paired up with girl activities. Review "Bro Jo's Dating Rules for Teens" with your friends and parents, making sure that everyone has a clear picture of what you're doing and why. Ask the girls in your area how they feel about what you're trying to do, and get their input.

You may just have to accept the fact that you're going to have to be the leader on this one. Who better than you?

- Bro Jo

No comments: