Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Power of the Temple

Dear Bro. Jo...

I've been back from my mission for about 5 months now and I am confused. I was realeased from my mission and I have only one question. I've heard the lock-your-heart talk and I agree. But it talks about elders who commit things during the mission.

I didn't do anything with this girl during the mission. She handed me a letter as I got on the bus to go to mission headquarters at the end of my two years. I read the letter and realized I really do have feelings for this girl. Does that make me a bad missionary. My brother said I confused a missionaries love with a Romantic Love. She's a convert to the church and has her son.

I babysat for many years and so I'm good at working with children and she said that my interaction with her child is what made her fall in love with me. Did I really Shortchange my mission? And Is it ok to go back to her? She has an amazing testimony of the gospel, really an amazing girl and I feel so torn between my feelings for her and the approval of my family.

Thanks

Elder confundido


Dear Confundido,

I'm sorry I'm just getting to this now - sometimes letters I should respond to right away get buried in the never ending cascade of romantic wishes of 14 year old girls . . .

:)

Anyway, it's a profound letter with some good questions . . . where do things sit with you now?

- Bro Jo


Dear Bro Jo,

Well things changed... dramatically. I went to the temple and prayed about it. And I didn't get an answer for a long time.

Then I decided I should start dating other people before I went back to be with her. I did and I found a girl who isn't perfect and isn't my soul-mate. However she did give me hope here.

Then I went to the temple when I wasn't quite so stricken for the girl from my mission, and there I received pretty much a spiritual beatdown. Basically I got the jist that if I went back I'd be putting my salvation in serious danger.

So I wrote her, she had no doubts concerning my revelation, she totally understood. We still keep in contact but only as friends. Thanks for responding...

- EC


Dear EC,

That's great!

Ah, the power of prayer and the temple - Good for you!

- Bro Jo

No comments: