Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, May 31, 2010

The Pain of Loss

Dear Bro Jo,

My Godson just died.

I have a strong testimony of the Atonement, and of the plan of happiness, I really do. I just don't understand why then it hurts so much that he died... why I'm so lost.

I love knowing of the Atonement because now, I know that he won't have to be raised by a young single mom, but by an eternally married couple in the CK, but I'm still so sad, and it feels like my heart has been ripped out and torn to pieces.

What can I do to make this horrible pain go away?

He wasn't legally my son yet, I shouldn't be feeling like this... How can I make it just stop?

Thanks!

"Les Peches"



Cher Peches,

My heart is with you at this time of loss and pain.

It's OK, even good, to be sad. Even though you have a strong testimony, and you know that you'll get to see him again, you miss him . . . and you love him . . . that's why it hurts so bad.

I don't have a way to make the pain go away, and I'm not certain that it ever will completely vanish . . . but it will probably lesson with time.

That won't mean that you miss or love him less, but as time marches on you'll be better equipped to deal with the loss.

And some days will be better than others.

Sister Jo and I almost lost a child to a drowning accident eight years ago. He survived, but it was a very personal and traumatic experience (I pulled him out of the water and Sister Jo resuscitated him then he was life-flighted to a children's hospital). I couldn't watch movies where someone drowned or nearly drowned without breaking down for a couple years. Even now it's still a bit difficult. But it's better than it was.

I know that's not exactly the same thing, but I think it has a parallel.

Other than time, the only other thing I can think of the help is something you've already realized: the value of gratitude. I know it can be difficult, especially in times like these, but keep finding the things for which you can be grateful. Whether it's the knowledge of Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness, or that today the son shone to warm the earth or the rain fell to water to help things grow.

Gratitude is a matter of perspective.

And just know that, as you rediscover joy, you will be honoring your loved one because, even though they miss us, too, they want us to be happy.

- Bro Jo

No comments: