Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Love at First Sight

Dear Bro Jo,

Does Bro Jo believe in love at 1st site?

- W



Dear W,

Nope.

I do believe in attraction at first sight, and instant spiritual promptings that you really should get to know someone, but love requires some familiarity.

Love is something that grows, not something that magically appears.

(Related tangent: we often confuse the Spirit with love, which is why non-engaged people shouldn't go on Temple dates.)

Now, all of that said, when I first saw the future Sister Jo I was VERY attracted to her. Six months later when we had what I call our first date I seriously thought "wow, I could fall in love with this girl". Three months after that when we had what she calls our first date, I was absolutely smitten with her. And there are times now, 20+ years later, when think I wanted to marry her from the very first day we met, as if it was prearranged in heaven.

And this comes from a guy who absolutely doesn't believe that there's just one person out there for each of us.

(But that's not what I told her when we were dating - I used the "we are destined to be together" line relentlessly!)

- Bro Jo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im not a believer of love at first sight either. But The first day I met my man, he was not a member of the chuch so I asked him if he smokes. He said he used to but not anymore and later he admited that was the day he quit. :)