Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mama Cheese asks about the boy sent home

Dear Bro Jo,

Hello again! This is Cheese's mom...she is doing so well, very happy, having lots of fun with many good...um, not friends (because they're male)...lads to spend time with, and a few close girlfriends, too. She's acing all her classes, enjoying cheer & drama & all the regular high school stuff. So all is good on that front. But today I have a problem for you that the Big Cheese (Daddy) & I have been trying to wrap our brains around for the last few weeks.

Cheese had a friend who turned 19 & went into the MTC at the beginning of October. (Note, this is not Hero Boy from a previous letter. He's waiting for his call to arrive any day now & still filling a helpful big-brother/protector role.) Anyway, he's a sweet kid, but (obviously) Big Cheese & I did not love him spending much time with her before he left due to their age difference. (She's 15.) He was always appropriate--no alone time with her, EVER, etc. He never even suggested he might have any romantic interest in her, just was at our house whenever he could be. So Big Cheese & I let him be part of the group that's here a lot for movie parties & ice cream & such, knowing he was leaving on his mission and assuming he wasn't problematic because his departure was imminent.

All good until the last week of October when he left the MTC & went home. We don't know exactly why; it's certainly not our business to ask. What he has told us is that he had something in his past that made him need to spend time counseling with his Stake President, and he's now doing that. Which, I'm sure was an incredibly difficult thing for him to do, and I give him full credit for manning up & doing the right thing.

Still, this leaves our family in something of an awkward place & we're not sure how to treat him. We DO NOT want to allow him to think of Cheese as a love interest, and she, thank goodness, is NOT interested in him romantically. But we also don't want him to feel like he's being shunned, especially now when it's obvious he really needs support & friendship.

Should we continue to allow him to be "one of the guys" at our house? Tell him "stay away"? Something else? We need ideas. We care for him as a child of God & want to help him. But we are also worried, because he has made some colossal mistakes, & we don't want to communicate that we condone those. Help!

Mama Cheese




Dear Mama Cheese,

A 19-year old man should not being hanging out with a 15-year old girl (unless she's a relative) regardless of how good of a guy he is or isn't. Period. The potential for harm and confusion is just way too high. You remember what it's like to be a 15-year old girl, right? Any boy that shows you attention is a good thing, especially if he says you're pretty, or he likes your outfit, or whatever. Creepy boys are the exception. Sometimes. Feelings get confused, being nice gets mixed up with attraction (and, let's face it, if there was no attraction on his part he wouldn't be at your house). It's all around bad. You and I both know that Cheese, like any other 15-year old girl, thinks about kissing boys; and that in itself isn't bad, but 15-year old girls can look pretty mature and 19-year old boys can be pretty immature . . .

(My 15-year old son's friends are not allowed to "hang out" with my 11-year old daughter for the same reasons.)

Let me say it this way: sure, nothing has happened, and nothing likely would happen (maybe), but how bad would it be if it did? Does it matter if it's just flirting and holding hands, or kissing? Or something . . . more?

Your home needs to be a refuge from the world, and sometimes that means keeping out those who might otherwise violate the spirit (or your daughter).

Like I've said before, no 19-year old guy would be spending time with a 15-year old girl if he didn't find her attractive. Creepy as that sounds, weird as it may be, it's true. Ask Big Cheese. It may be tough for him to admit, but deep down he knows the truth: the boy thinks his daughter is . . . well, as the Jo boys say, not painful to look at.

If Cheese changed her mind and came on to him, could he resist? Would he want to?

(The fact that he hasn't suggested romance means nothing, by the way.)

I think you need to be pro-active. I think you (or perhaps more appropriately, Big Cheese) need to go talk to the young man. I think you tell him exactly what you told me: "It's none of my business why you came back, in fact I admire you being man enough to set things straight with the Lord."

And then I'd add: "However, where my daughter is concerned, I want you to stay away from her. this has nothing to do with any issues you may have, and everything to do with the fact that 19-year old men should not hangout with girls in High School, especially those too young to date. You seem like a smart young man, and I hope that you are; if you don't put some respecctable distance between the two of you, I'm going to show you what happens when one adult doesn't respect another."

Okay, that last part was typed with the voice of John Wayne in my head, so you may not want to use it.

But I do think you need to talk to him.

And I think you need to talk to Cheese, too. She's very bright; don't go behind her back; share with her the concerns that you and Big Cheese have. You can all be supportive and offer friendship without fostering inappropriate behavior. Sinner or saint, he's too old to be stalking your little girl.

To be clear: yes, he needs to be removed from the invite list. He needs to be told that he's too old to come over. He needs to be told that dropping by is unacceptable. If he doesn't get that or his feelings are hurt or he feels that you're punishing him for his sins . . . well, I know it sounds calous, but that's his problem. It's part of accepting responsibilty.

- Bro Jo

6 comments:

liz said...

Appearlrley at the Cheese house theres always a large group of kids hangingout.
The Young Man could be going to the cheese home to see other youth and hangout with the guys.
Or, he could be there to hangout with the older girls.

A youngwomen in my ward home is like this. I don't hangout there because i'm good friends with her(although I wouldn't have a problem being better friends.)

I hang out there because its where others I'm good friends with are.

Bro Jo said...

The young man is there when others aren't and, most importantly, he's a guy, not a girl. It makes all the difference. Trust me.

- Bro Jo

Anonymous said...

This x missionary did drop by unannounced one time after leaving the MTC. I decided that it had been a while since I had cleaned my Smith and Wesson semi automatic pistol, so I got it out and cleaned it while we chatted. We have not seen him since.

-Big Cheese

Bro Jo said...

The Jo Boys have all had the "so you're here to pick up my daughter / let me show you my gun collection" experience - they actually enjoy it. Partially because they admire men who stand up for what's right, and partially because they love guns.

(One ex-military father told me that he just couldn't keep a straight face during the demonstration of the industrial hardware because of a Jo Boy's sincere enthusiasm: "This is so cool! What kind of range does it have?")

Of course, its easy to relax in that conversation if you have no intention of doing stuff that would make dad mad in the first place.

I've appreciated and thanked every father that's given my son that experience; and while I appreciate that the Jo Boys are trusted, I'm always disappointed when they go to pick a date up and her father (or mother or grandma or older sibling . . .) doesn't greet them at the door, grill them on the date plan, and clearly state expectations and curfew.

Would there were more like you, my friend. I tip my ten-gallon hat to you.

- Bro Jo

Anonymous said...

What the heck? Since when is hanging out with someone "stalking" them?! And 15 years old is not a "little girl!" If they are just friends why can't people leave them alone?! I usually agree with your advice, but now... Isn't it rude to tell someone to stay away? That sounds extremely controlling on the parents part. I can choose my own friends wisely, by myself, thank you.

Bro Jo said...

@ Anon -

1) When it's a 15-year old girl and a 19-year old man.

2) Yes, no matter how mature you think you are, to all of us Old Folks (and that includes MOST 19-year old men) 15 still means you're a "little girl".

3) Guys are never "just friends" with girls . . . regardless of what girls think, do or say; when you're a little older you'll understand.

4) Parents have a right and obligation to control the atmosphere of their home and to protect their children, regardless of their age.

5) If you're only 15 and you choose a 19-year old or older man as your "friend" and he starts hanging out uninvited at your house all the time, you're clearly not choosing your friends wisely.


Look, no one, even Sister Jo, agrees with all of my writing. If we limit our associations to only those with whom we agree 100% we're doomed to live a very lonely existence.

I appreciate you reading and commenting; please continue to do so.

- Bro Jo