Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What to Wear

Hi Bro Jo,

Okay, so last Monday I went to the FHE with the mid-singles. I met a guy named (withheld) and he got my number. I even used the "I'll give it to you, If you promise you'll use it" line. He seemed really nice. I thought I'd freaked him out by being so direct with him, but tonight he called! We didn't really get to talk, but he invited me out for a date this weekend.

It was planned!

He called!

He knew what he wanted to do! Wow!! I am so excited to even meet a guy with that sort of fortitude, since I haven't met one since who knows when. YAY!!

So my question is, and I should probably be asking Sis. Jo this, so you'll have to be my relay service. What do you wear on a first date? We are going out to eat and then we're going to Barnes & Noble for dessert. He's picking me up at 7pm. Hmmm . . . I know I need to be myself, but I tend to come across as very conservative/formal or sloppy and not put together. I don't know where the middle ground is. Especially because the "nice clothes" I do have, I wear to work or Church. I have a very limited amount of clothing that actually fits because of my drastic weight loss. A hard problem to have, I know! LOL.

Anyway, I had better get going. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

- Going Out



Dear Going,

Sister Jo says that, honestly, she'd sew something for herself. She's incredibly unhappy with what she finds in the stores, both in fit and style, but she also recognizes that you don't have much time.

What you wear on any date needs to match what you're doing.

We both recommend the TV show "What Not to Wear" as a great source of guidance, and the book "Dress Your Best" by its hosts, Clinton Kelly and Stacey London, is also a great resource.

Sister Jo says, in general, clothes that Fit Well (the right size, not showing too much, but certainly letting your date know you're a girl), are simple, and a step above what you'd wear to the same place during the day time is a good place to start.

In your case, dress slacks or a simple skirt (if weather allows), and a basic top that meets the criteria above should do the trick.

Let us know how it goes and what you wear!

- Bro Jo and Sister Jo


Hey Bro and Sis Jo,

'Tis I, broadcasting to you from (location withheld) in the middle of the night.

I have to share with you both something. Shortly before my grandma passed away last month, I was talking to her and made her promise that she would start pointing good, quality men in my direction. After tonight's date, I honestly think my Grandma has been working overtime. Of course I would never tell him that, but I definitely think he's ranking high up there in the quality level.

The date was fun! At a quarter past the time he was going to pick me up. He still had not arrived. I wasn't all that shocked because the freeway had been shut down and I honestly thought he'd gotten stuck in the horrid traffic. That is . . . until he called. He asked if I was home. I told him I was ready and waiting. He said, well then come answer the door. I told him I hadn't heard him. come to find out he'd been ringing the doorbell at a darkened apartment on the other side of my complex. #19, not #9. He laughed, apologized and said he'd be right there---telling me he was grateful some old man didn't come and answer the door. When he arrived and I invited him in while I closed the back door, he stepped in and took a look at me and said, "Wow, you look great!" All night he opened all my doors and the conversation just flowed. There were so many quirky things that we had in common.

It was great fun to talk to him. He took me out to dinner at a nice, high-end burger place. I swear the guy is as thin as a string pulled taunt, but he has a bottomless pit for a stomach! We ordered different things and then split them all and shared them. It was so fun to try out different salads and dips and burgers and soups. I couldn't keep up with how much he ate. After dinner we went to Barnes and Noble and he walked right in and asked me what I wanted for dessert. He ordered our desserts.

We sat down and I thought HOLY COW this guy eats like a vacuum! Inside was laughing so hard! I ended up unable to eat the entire apple thingy I ordered and so I let him have it.

He comes from a fun family. He's got a good sense of humor, hard working ward mission leader and really knows how to keep a girl smiling. He walked fast. It was a relief because I do too! So often I leave people in the dust, not even realizing it. Part way through walking through the parking lot he suddenly turned to me and said, "You walk fast! Or are you just walking that fast because I'm walking fast?" I laughed because I hadn't even thought about it until he said something and I realized, yah, gee, this guy is keeping up with me! I asked him if that was his normal pace or if he normally walked slower. He said it was his pretty standard pace. Then we both did our rendition of our own moseying walk . . . only to step it back up to our original pace. LOL.

Anyway, the date was a little under three hours long. The time flew and I was surprised when he was taking me back to my house because it had only felt like an hour, if that. He walked me up to the door; I thanked him. He asked me if I'd like to go out again, and I told him I looked forward to it. He grinned and I gave him a hug and then he left.

So, on the gentleman meter I would give him a 9.995.
Personality 8.3428
Humor Meter 7.88
Innovation 7.99

Gosh, statistics are fun to make up!

I hope you guys had a great night. I attached a picture of how I looked before I left. When you said Sis Jo would have preferred to make an outfit I laughed out loud. Sis Jo, if you could teach me even how to sew, let alone follow a pattern and make something I would actually wear, I would be eternally in your debt! Eternally! Man that would be awesome!

Anyway, that's the update.

Until later,

- Going



Dear Going,

We're so glad you had a great time!


Good clothing choice!
- Sister Jo


Hope he's smart enough to take you out again!
- Bro Jo


PS: Sewing gets easier with practice. Pick something easy and don't be afraid to make mistakes. If you're really lost, ask one of the Bishopric's wives or someone's mom or grandma to teach a "sewing basics" class.
- Sister Jo

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love What Not to Wear!! I learned almost all I know from that show!

Anonymous said...

Best story ever! There are amazing guys. That just helped me so much.