Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

She Was Waiting, but Now She's Leaving, So What Should She Tell "Her Missionary"?

Dear Bro Jo

Hello yet again!

I have a quick question that came up from your post the other day, and I think it calls for a quick response.

So apparently Heavenly Father wants me to go on a mission :)

So that's what I've been focusing on in my life lately.

Well, regarding this missionary I was dating before he left, I'm not sure what to do.

Next week he'll have been out 6 months, and as I haven't even done my interview with the Stake President yet, there will definitely be some time that he's home when I'm not.

I'm not sure what he'll do in that time.

He hasn't made a decision on where he wants to go to school, but he'll probably be leaving in the fall for college.

That's fine.

I'm not worried about it.

What I am worried about is the whole dating-thing.

I have no problems with him dating other girls!

I just don't know how to tell him so.

We never discussed it before he left because it wasn't really in "the plan."

I have three options that I've thought of:

1. I've written him letters to read when he gets home, I could write one where I tell him to get out, have fun, show some girls a great time!


2. I can wait till he writes me about it and then tell him how I feel. 
3. Something I haven't thought of before! 


What would your advice be?

Do you think I should encourage him to date other girls?

(He never had a real desire to before he left on his mission, even though I kept telling him to, but I think it'd be good for him.)

Thanks so much!

Have a WONDERFUL day!

You rock!

- Future Sister




Dear Sister,

Hi!

Here's my opinion:

1. Have the interview 
2. Submit your papers 
3. Write him a letter telling him you've submitted your papers and you're excited to serve. 
4. Realize that he's free to date anyone he wants to when he comes home (so long as she wants to date him, I suppose) 
5. Work hard and be a positive and happy missionary! 
6. When you come home, if he's single, date him. If he's not single, don't. If he wasn't smart enough to go on dates while you were gone, bad for him but maybe good for you! (And maybe not.) 

Have a great day!

(And let Sister Jo and I know when and where you'll be serving, please!)

- Bro Jo

No comments: