Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Two Quick Questions

Dear Bro Jo,

Hey!

I was just wondering if you think its okay to tell a teeny tiny fib to get a creeper stalker off my back?

'Cause I felt kinda bad about lying that I'd gotten a new phone, but mostly I'm just relieved he won't try to text me anymore.

And if he asks for my new number?

Should I just give him the nearest Pizza Hut's number?

- Curious



Dear Curious,

I think it's okay to kick a creeper stalker in the groin if that's what it takes to get them to go away.

So there!

But I will tell you this: when it comes to guys that like you that you don't like, lying almost never works.

Honesty, sometimes brutal honesty, is the only thing that works.

Frankly, C, I think it would be smarter to just block his number.

Seriously.

Then no texts and you don't have to lie

- Bro Jo




Dear Bro Jo,

Oh, I don't know if I can do brutal honesty!

I don't want to hurt anyone.

That would be awful.

Also, I've been thinking, and do you think it would be inappropriate to like a guy who is 20 when the girl is 17?

It's not me, or my situation, but when my friend gets back from his mission it could be and I just wanna avoid doing anything wrong... I just don't know.

The age difference isn't bad and I've known him forever, but I know you were like, "15 and 19 year olds can't be friends".

Well . . .  now that I think about the time line, I'll be 18 and off to college when he gets back.

So I guess that's different?

- Curious,



Dear Curious,

Being honest is only painful if you're mean.

Lying can be much more harmful.

There's nothing wrong with LIKING a 20-year old guy when you're 17, but dating?

That's a "no".

18 and 21?

A bit of a stretch.

Less so if, like you said, you're out of high school.

19 and 22?

No problem!

- Bro Jo

No comments: