Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Does She Like Him?

Dear Bro Jo,

Hey there. I've recently come across your blog, and I must say, you’re very helpful.

So I was wondering if you might be able to share some of that helpfulness with a kid such as myself.

Here's the problem...

I think I like this girl, and I'm pretty darn sure that she is pretty into me (we’re both 16), so I was wondering how I might find out for certain how the two of us feels about the other person. I mean, this girl is great. I think she might like me because she's always been the kind of person to not say a whole lot, but recently I've noticed that she's been talking A LOT more, especially to me. She seems kind of flirty, and I can't help but flirt back (I tend to do that with any girl I talk to).

So I can't help but wonder if I might like her, and if she might like me. I mean, I'm pretty sure of those two things, but I need a second opinion, and that's where you come in!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- (name and town withheld)


Dear NT,

Always willing to help . . .

You need to ask her out.

On a date.

Yes; a Date.

You Plan. You Pick Up. You Pay.

If this is your first time, or if it’s never gone well before, let me share with you:

“Bro Jo’s HOW TO ASK A GIRL OUT ON A DATE”

1) Have a plan.
     a. Start with Getting a Dating Buddy (or two) – a guy who will also take a girl out, and that you won’t be embarrassed by
     b. Pick a Day, Time, and Activity – keep it simple, and relatively short (just a couple hours) – at this stage I’d recommend going out to eat – gives you a chance to talk, and everyone likes food – pick a day that you’re pretty sure your prospective date will be available
     c. Figure out who’s doing the driving, and most of the details (if you can)
     d. Run the plan by your Parental Unit – make sure they approve and are on board

2) Make the call. You can ask in person, if you’ve got the guts, but there’s nothing wrong with asking a girl out by phone. Call plenty of time in advance (Sister Jo recommends a 5 day minimum notice for Casual Dates; formal dates, like a Special School Dance, require more notice, like 4-6 weeks, minimum, if possible)
     a. Keep your conversation simple and to the point. Still be you, but don’t worry about being eloquent or fancy.
     b. Make it clear that you’re asking her out on a DATE
          i. “Hi. (Fill in your Dating Buddy’s name here) and I are planning a group date this Saturday night, and I’m hoping you’ll go as my date. Will you go with me?” – always come right out and ask the question.
          ii. Give her details as she asks for them, but don’t conclude the conversation without letting her know the Day, Time, and other essential details. She’ll probably need to clear the date with her parents (I hope), so it’s OK if she asks you to give her time to talk to them and asks you to call back at a later time.
     c. If she says “No”, be gracious: “OK, well perhaps another time”. If she Does want to go out with you, but can’t on the day you’ve selected, ask if there’s another day that works better. Tell her you’ll need to work that out with your Dating Buddy and go back to step 1.

3) Enjoy!

That’s it, bud. Sure, there will be variables, but it really is that easy.

Read through “Bro Jo’s Dating Rules for Teens” and talk to your parents about what to do on a date.

And just HAVE FUN!

Keep it clean. Keep it Casual.

Dating is a blast!

- Bro Jo

3 comments:

AnthonyKantara said...

But what if the guy is not financially comfortable to pay the whole date?

Bro Jo said...

Then he should plan dates he can afford.

Or get a job. Girls find Guys with Jobs VERY attractive, Anthony.

Actually . . . he should probably do both.

- Bro Jo

AnthonyKantara said...

really? thats good.
funny you say this because i actually have a job interview in a while (that i most probably get) :) lol
thanks