Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Good Dates

Dear Bro Jo,

I have been 16 for almost a month now. I have a good social network, and know many great guys, have good gal friends, and love to hang out with all of them. However, the whole dating thing is confusing and unknown to me!

Eeek!

I have sort of set my dating standards, etc. My problem is: I am friends with all age groups, including those who are 19. I really want to start off dating members in my age group. I have had a crush on a guy from my ward for over a year (and... The whole ward knows it haha), amazing guy, kind, sweet, strong priesthood holder, talented, etc. Problem is, he is too shy and quiet and is not too into girls yet.

And now I also like another 16-year old from my ward (only this guys sister who is one of my friends knows and she approves) who is an athletic, outgoing, social, good priesthood holder and he has much more... Experience (he has already had 2 exclusive girlfriends and is a puppy love kind of guy, but I danced with him at the last tri-stake dance and he said- after he broke up with his 2nd nonmember girlfriend- that he has decided exclusive dating/ HS relationships are over rated, so he is now back to the church suggestions for 16 yr old dating).

BUT THEY WONT ASK ME (and I have hinted... Would it be tacky to ask
them?)!!!

Here are my dilemmas:

#1: What is your opinion on dating within a ward? I mean, you spend
SOO much time with these guys because of seminary, church, mutual, etc. I
would love to date those I know well, makes a date more comfortable.

#2: The people who have asked me out are not the ones I want to date... Yet. Don't get me wrong, they are not bad kids, but they are just not, well I don't know. For example, a 19 year old who is a friend of mine from my old HS just asked me out. I politely said no thanks and explained how I was not comfortable with dating some one that much older than me. Do you think it would be best to date those who are members? (I kind of feel that way - but that's hard due to a low member concentration, my parents are fine either way)

#3: I actually really like the idea of not exclusively dating. At
MINIMUM 1 or 2 guys in between before going out with the same guy again.
However, it is EXTREAMLY difficult in an area where the Mormon concentration
is LOW. Non members have a hard time understanding our dating standards. They tend to label people who go out with a different person every other week as shallow. Now,
I could care less what people with low moral standards who don't know me well think, but still, it is not a good label to have in HS no matter how good a person one may actually be.

#4: I love your basic guideline for teen dating. GREATLY appreciated! As a teenager, we are always trying to come up with fun, inexpensive dates. I think you should make a list of great teen dates. (oh hey, what is your opinion on Movie theater dates? I think they kind of defeat the purpose of a date because you can’t talk, but I think they could be fun once and a while) Oh and also, some good suggestions on what to talk about to keep the date conversations alive and interesting.


PS: at church, in Young women's one day, the bishops 2nd councilor spoke to
us on dating. He told us the rule he set fro his daughters. It was called PAD. Personal Space, Alone, Dark. Never have two of them together, and you will be at less of a risk! :D

Thanks,
a Daughter of God


Dear Little Sister,

I love the PAD concept! So what you’re saying is that a girl can have someone invade their Personal Space, as long as she’s not Alone with him or in the Dark; or She can be in the Dark so long as she’s neither Alone with a Guy or Having her Personal space invaded; or that she can be Alone with a Guy if they’re not in the Dark or Invading each other’s Personal Space; is that right?

(I’m tempted to change the word “Alone” to “Affection” . . . but I digress)

It’s good that you’re hinting, but I’ve got to tell you that many of us guys (Bro Jo included) are quite . . . slow.

A “hint” may just not be direct enough. I’ve written a few columns on how a Girl Can Get a Boy to Ask her Out, and posted some suggestions on the “Dear Bro Jo” Facebook Fan Page. (It’s free, and you can jump right to the now by clicking on this paragraph).

One item from that note that may help you the most is to just Say It: “So, when are you going to ask me out?”

You need to remember that we guys can be terrified that you’ll reject us. A straight-forward invitation will go a long way towards building our confidence.

But don’t get in the habit of asking guys out unless it’s a special event, like a Girl-Ask-Guy Dance. (In my school we still called it “Sadie Hawkins”, after a character in an old Comic Strip. At the High School here in Bozeman they call it TWIRP, which stands for The Woman Is Required to Pay. I think having one or two of these type of events a year is healthy for Young Men and Young Women, but I think the Dating Rules still need to apply).


To address you dilemmas:

#1) I agree: the first place for guys and girls to look for Dates (both the casual ones when you’re 16 and the Serious ones when you’re 22) is within your own ward. Those are the people you know best, and you’re right: a little familiarity can help. I’ve had some teens express concern about the gossip that may happen (or potential hurt feelings) when dates happen within your circle of friends. I think those are legitimate concerns, but easily overcome when dates are frequent, Casual, in Groups, and the we adhere to the concepts of “everyone deserves to go out” and “don’t date the same person until you’ve gone out with 2+ other people”.

#2) Your parents are right: I see no problem dating non-members when you’re Casual Dating Age so long as you stick to the rules, stick to your standards, and don’t go out with guys that scare you or make you uncomfortable. In general I agree with the standard that a girl should go out with any boy that asks, but I do make exceptions. No girl should put herself in a situation where she feels unsafe.

#3) I understand. Where I live High School Guys that go out with a different girl every weekend (or every time they go out) are called “Players”, implying that they’re not good guys, and only after one thing; which, in the case of LDS Guys that are trying to follow the rules and be good guys, is not the case. As Latter-day Saints we should be used to people talking about us in ways that aren’t true. I know that doesn’t make High School Life easier, but we’ll be much happier if we stop allowing the opinions of others to dictate our happiness. Let’s be candid: anyone, LDS or not, who takes the time out of their life to put down another person is really acting out of jealousy. The Best Thing we can do in those situations, I think, is to talk to the rumor spreaders One-on-one; tell them why we date the way we do, testify that it’s Good and Fun, and invite them to join you on your next group date.

#4) I love movies, and I think they can be a fine date if they’re followed by Conversation Time afterwards. Going to a movie together can give us Something-in-common to talk about, which can be a great catalyst towards finding out the thoughts, feelings and opinions of the person we’re with. You make a very good point about movies defeating the purpose of getting to know each other, so I say after the film go get an ice cream and have a chat.

You’ve asked for two lists, both of which have been somewhat addressed in previous letters, but let’s see if I come up with the same stuff as before. Here you go!

Bro Jo’s LIST OF FUN INEXPENSIVE TEEN DATES

• Anything Outdoors
o Hiking
o Strolling
o Skating (Ice and Roller)
o Biking
o Frisbee
o Croquet (I like this if you add the X-game factor by changing the location from your house to somewhere exotic, like the Beach or Mountains)
o Photography Scavenger Hunt
o Play a Game like Tag, Basketball, Kickball or whatever (great for groups of 4+ couples – just don’t flirt with someone else’s date – that’s pretty low)

• Food
o Picnic (maybe you include shopping for the picnic items)
o Cooking together at someone’s home*
o BBQ (again, perhaps at a random location, like

• Service
o Any well-organized Service Activity can be up-lifting and rewarding

• Affordable Events
o Sports (instead of Professionals, go watch Little League or Middle School)
o Concerts and Plays in the Park
o Festivals

• Take a Class, like a Dance Class or something offered by the local rec. center

* On these Dates you should combine them with something that takes you Out of the Home, or it won’t feel much like a Date, it will feel too much like Hanging Out – NOT ADVISED!


Bro Jo’s LIST OF STUFF TO TALK ABOUT WHILE ON A TEEN DATE

• School. Classes, Teachers, Triumphs and Tragedies.

• Family - The One You’ve Got Now and the One You’d Like Later

• Church – Talks, Conferences, Activities

• Friends - Not individuals as much as “what makes a good friend” and “what do you like to do with your friends

• Music - what do they like, dislike.

• Any other personal interests – sports, movies, books,

The Key to keeping the Conversation Going is to Ask Questions about the Other Person, and Listen to what you’re asked and answer thoughtfully. Be careful not to Gossip; it’s tempting, and right or wrong we feel better about ourselves when we talk about others, but it really is unattractive.

This list is really very similar to Bro Jo’s “LIST OF STUFF YOUNG GUYS CAN ASK GIRLS WHILE DANCING”


I wouldn’t worry about not having too many dates in the first couple months after you turn 16; it can take a while, especially if the boys in your area need some “How to Date” Training.

Hang in there and have fun!

- Bro Jo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple of things:

First, why do all of your dating suggestions involve food? There's way too much emphasis on food in the LDS culture (refreshments, pot luck dinners, etc) and there's an epidemic of obesity in the church, especially in Utah. Can't dating be successful without food, especially the uber-fattening kind found in BBQs, funeral potatoes, etc?

Second, can you please fix the capitalization and grammar issues in your posts and comments? It's very annoying.

Bro Jo said...

I could certainly benefit from dropping a few pounds myself (like . . . 20-40); I like food!

Sister Jo and I try to go out every week, and going out to dinner is our favorite because it gives us a chance to eat good food without being in the kitchen and, as I said and more importantly, it gives us a chance to TALK.

But I also believe that sharing a meal or treat can be special and excellent for conversation! You can't talk and eat, so the act of the meal encourages each to take their turn speaking.

You should pick up my book "The Discovering Greatness Playbook" (sold at Amazon). It starts with a discussion about obesity (particularly in children) - you'll find that I share your concerns.

That said, you should go back and read more carefully. Many of my suggestions for dates have nothing to do with food.

Lastly, the Capitalization and Grammar I use are all intentional: I use them as a Style to Convey Tone and indicate EMPHASIS.

And you need to realize that this column is read in 40+ countries, it's a miracle (to me) that anyone outside my own family can understand my ramblings, let alone the many great readers from various nations with their own languages and coloquialisms. Some things are just going to require all of us to be a little more open to the differences of others.

I do stray from "emoticons" (mostly because I don't know very many) and because, while I want this column to have a Conversational Feel, I'm not a Big Fan of IM and Texting.

For the record, I often have to correct and edit incoming letters of the very problems you indicate. I share your frustration with grammatical errors (which, if you're like me, also extends to spelling), but for my own entertainment I left Your errors uncorrected.

- Bro Jo

(That's a joke, Clyde)

Anonymous said...

your awesome bro jo lol
therez this is something some branches or stakes should try lol

Once our branch (im a girl and from N.Z btw) had a youth (combined ysa) discussion about dating.
And what happend was they split the young women from the young men.

And the young men leaders (some of them) talked about boys/young men etc. with the young women and vice versa with the boys.
They talked about how a male mind work and all that blah blah stuff.

Anyway afterward all the youth and ysa had to take their seatz and in the rec hall put them in a circle.
The girls in one circle and the guys seats in a circle around them and you had to be facing someone.
It was a get-to-know people activity thing.

And each person there was given a little sheet of paper and it said things you would discus with the person facing you (it should be a boy facing a girl)
-your name, age and what branch you were in and what school you go to.
then it had questions like
-whatz your fav subject in school, what do you wish to achieve and all that kind of stuff.
and when you and your partner were finished (both you and your partner asked and answered the questions on the sheet of paper)
you put your hand up and wait for every other pair to put their hands up. When all the hands are up the person runing the activity asks a question like um "Who would you invite to have dinner at your place Donald Trump or Donald Duck?"
it was kind of like a start-off topic for you and your partner.
When the whistle was blown the guys would move to the next seat on his right and youd have a new partner and youd do the same thing as you done with the previous partner.

This was a awesome activity for our youth/ysa.

Yeah but then it became competitive between the guys and youd hurry thru your anwers so the guy could be the 1st person with the hand up lol.
There was a consequence for that hahaha you had to answer one of the questions on the sheet about your partner. It was really fun.

that could be an idea for some of the youth wanting to date
its the whole youth and you get to know everyone and it pertains to the rules of dating and theres no problem... :)