Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Asking Out Your Friend's Sibling

Dear Bro Jo,

I don't know if this is a typical teen girl problem, but let me here it is.

To start let me explain that i have just turned 16 and can now date. Now here is my problem:

I was really good friends with a girl, lets call her Chelsea. Well, Chelsea and I have been really good friends for a while. Well, while I was friends with Chelsea i started to like her brother. Last summer she went to BYU for college and then i started hanging with her brother more.

Now that I am 16 and there is a dance coming up at my school i wish to ask Chelsea's brother to this dance. However, I don't want Chelsea to feel as though I have been using her to get to her brother. What can i do?

Also, this dance is a "Sadie Hawkins" dance and I am nervous to ask Chelsea's brother to the dance.

HELP!!

-Ohio Teen


Dear Ohio,

I think you should ask him whether she wants you to or not, but if you're worried about it and want to keep things smooth between the two of you, just talk to her. "Hey, Sadie Hawkins is coming up and I'm going to ask your brother. Any advice?"

If she's a true friend she'll be glad someone as nice as you is asking him and, if you ask for her help, she may go that extra step and help you know what to say and when.

It's a good sign that you're nervous, but don't let that keep you from trying!

And don't wait too long, either.

Lastly, even a school dance should follow the Casual Group Dating Rules (click HERE if you need to look them up again), so find a good group to go with.

Have fun!

- Bro Jo

No comments: