Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Being a Member Missionary (It Starts with Being a Friend)

Dear Bro Jo,

I absolutely love your website and all the advice that you give to the youth like me. Sorry I had to e-mail you but i really have no clue how to post anything on your blog? I have just recently moved to Kerrville Texas from Chandler Arizona(which is loaded with LDS members).

I grew up in Chandler, and I was always used to having so many LDS friends and all the wards. But now that i have moved here to Kerrville there is barely and youth here that are LDS, only like 6 active youth attend my school out of 1400.

I am just really frustrated and have prayed to Heavenly Father for guidance and direction, because I get too frustrated here and don't know what to do with myself. I just really need some advice on what to do here, thank goodness I only have 8 more months left in this town( i leave for my mission in approximately 8 months). I always find myslef being really bored and having no friends because most of the kids at my school have really low moral standards. I just want advice on how to make these 8 months memorable, safe, and not miserable.

Sincerely,

GR


Dear GR,

I understand where you're coming from; consider it an opportunity for you to prepare for your mission. You're at a school with 1400 people, surely there are more than just 6 good kids. Break out of your shell! Make some friends! Throw a movie party or have a bunch of kids over for a BBQ or to watch a Bowl Game.

Now is the time for you to expand your circle of acquaintances because in a very short time (do you happen to know where you're going, yet?) you will be immersed in and surrounded by people who are Not Yet Members, and those folks will need you to show them the blessings that come from fellowshipping with the saints.

Don't focus on converting your whole High School, focus on accepting that everyone is a son or daughter of Heavenly Father, and that the Not-yet-Members simply need a Good Friend to show them the Way.

As you make new friends, and earnestly seek to get to know them, they'll show an interest in you. When the Spirit says the time is right, tell them of your mission plans, invite them to Church Activities (and then eventually to Sacrament Meeting). Learn How and When to openly bear your testimony of the Savior (might as well learn that now, brother).

And don't forget to include those that are Less Active Members in your plans.

Good Luck, and God Bless,

- Bro Jo

(Keep us posted on your call!)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

There are kids at school who wish they had friends with standards just like you do. I promise you! Especially in TX where good 'ol Christian values are actually quite common. I grew up in San Diego where there weren't more than 10 kids at my HS who were members. I served my misson in Dallas, TX. I know the feeling of standing out in a crowd for what you believe in and later having others come up to you and thank you because they didn't have the guts to do the same thing. Lots of people wish they had friends with standards. My best friend was able to finally get baptized when she turned 18 after hanging out at Church activities for 6 years. Man was she excited! Now she's been sealed in the temple to a wonderful guy and has a handful of kids. You never know who the Lord is preparing! Keep looking, you'll find them. Like Bro Jo said, learn now! I might add, it only gets easier with practice!