Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Don't Ask Him Out!

Dear Bro Jo,

I'm a 16 year old Jr. in High school. My best friend is a guy and recently I got a Huge crush on him. I haven't gone on a date yet and would really like to. I want to ask my friend out but I don’t' think he likes me that way but he gives me mixed signals. He's really popular and lots of girls like him. Should I risk our close relationship by asking him out, or should I just continue being a really good friend to him?

Thanks,

~Confused Girl



Dear Confused,

Don't ask him out!

Once you do you'll lose any power you have in the situation, you may turn him off (even if he likes being pursued for a little while, that will fade) and you will probably wreck the whole thing (guys, at least we manly types, find that horribly emasculating; it's as if you're saying "since you're too much of a wuss to do what needs to be done here, let me do it for you).

There are exceptions, such as Girl-ask-Guy dances, but your best bet is to get him to ask you out on at least one date before you reciprocate.

Let me interject here that you need to be Casual Group Dating, not pinning down a boyfriend, ESPECIALLY if you're entertaining the thought that somewhere down the road, say . . . post mission, you may want this to grow into something Eternal. (I'm not naive; I'm sure that's crossed your mind.)

So . . . the next question is "how do we get him to ask you out"?

Check out "Bro Jo's HOW a GIRL CAN GET a GUY'S ATTENTION"  and "Bro Jo's HOW a GIRL CAN GET a GUY to ASK HER on a DATE".

(While you're at it, review "Bro Jo's DATING RULES for TEENS" )

And, if he doesn't get it, you may need to employ "Bro Jo's TEN WAYS a GIRL CAN GET a GUY to CALL".

If he still isn't smart enough to ask you out, won't take the hints, or just is too afraid, just keep being nice. Not his best friend (you don’t want to get caught there), but nice.

And a little flirty.

Not too flirty.

But a little.

Sister Jo will tell you there's a lot of power in playing "slightly hard to get".

Worked on me.

- Bro Jo

No comments: