Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Hold the Door

Dear Bro Jo,

I am seventeen and without a lot of dating experiences under my belt, so I was confused when I read something in a book about dating. It’s called Mars and Venus on a Date. I can’t recall the author’s name. He’s a relationship/marriage councilor. Anyway, his book is about the different stages of a relationship, and in the first stage (attraction) he talks about a courtesy that seemed backwards to me.

Here’s the scenario: A guy asks a girl out on a nice date. He goes to pick her up and walks her to the car door, opens it, and helps her in. He closes the door and walks around the car.

My initial thought is that it’s only right that the girl unlocks his door for him if it isn’t already, but the author said that she shouldn’t. I didn’t quite understand all of his reasoning, but it had to do with a guy being happy to fulfill the girl’s needs. By giving back to him, the girl has decreased her attractiveness- or something to that degree.

So what are your thoughts on this? Ought the girl to unlock the door or not? As a young woman, I know how I want to be treated, and it only seems fair if I return the courtesy. By doing things like that, does a young woman hurt her chances at a relationship with a guy?

Miss Manners


Dear Miss,

The book is one of a series by John Gray, and they're not bad, but they're geared to a more worldly and slightly older set of folks, so I don't typically recommend them for LDS Teens (or Young Single Adults).

The scenario is partially correct. If he's locked himself out she should help him, but other than that Dr. Gray is right, she shouldn't do anything. At best it's emasculating (the worst being when a girl leans all the way over and opens the door for him from the inside, going so far as to push it open as far as her arm will stretch), but it can result in the girl stepping down off the pedestal he's trying to put her on (upon which she, in many ways, should demand to be placed).

And for many guys that makes her less special, and less of a challenge, and, yes, can make her less attractive (we value more that for which we must work to achieve). For other guys that makes her more . . . "attractive" is the wrong word . . . and "sexy" has the wrong connotation . . . but guys can get turned on by girls who make themselves "accessible" . . .

I don't mean to imply that simply open her own door means that a girl is slutty, but everything a gal does that means that a guy has to work less to (forgive me, but there's not a better way to put it) "earn" her (which can range from "as a companion" to "marriage") the more value to him (and others) she'll have.

(There's actually a Bro Jo Facebook Fan Page Discussion on this subject. Check it out by clicking HERE.)

Haven't you ever watched "Johny Lingo"?

Same thing.

Now, as if relationships weren't complicated enough, not many guys are interested in women who can't do anything for themselves, either.

I think the key is that a girl needs to let a guy be "the man" in certain situations, like providing and protecting (you can still clean his clock at sports, video games and chess) AND he wants to be appreciated for those provisions and protections.

Don't think of it as complicated.

Think of it as fun!

- Bro Jo

3 comments:

LovelyLauren said...

Usually I agree with your advice Bro Jo, but this is completely ridiculous. If a guy has worked to ask me out and open my door for me, the least I can do is unlock his. It isn't fair that girls never get to do anything nice and any guy that feels "emasculated" because I did something for him (that isn't even a particularly huge favor) sounds like someone who wasn't particularly secure in their masculinity in the first
place.
Furthermore, I don't want to be a diva just so guys have to work harder to get me. I don't want a date to be about me on a pedestal, I want it to be about getting to know each other, as equals. And quite frankly, having someone do everything for you (even when intentions are benevolent) can get tiring, and even demeaning. It's not that I don't want to be treated with respect and courtesy, it's that I should be able to do something for him.

Bro Jo said...

Lauren, Lauren, Lauren . . .

Why stop there? Why not cut his food for him, too?

This is not about YOU, it's about him. It's not about you being "a diva" (no one said you had to be snotty) or him doing everything for you, it's about letting him play the role of Man while you play the role of Woman.

It's not demeaning, it's respectful. People will go a lot farther in their relationships and dating experiences if they stop being so selfish (which, by the way, is Another Reason why those in relationships shouldn't have Close Opposite-sex Friends) and learn to think of the needs and feelings of others.

There's lots you can do for your date that will show him the respect and courtesy you talk about.

How about being sincerely thankful that he took you out on a nice date? How about asking him about himself and allowing him to be the center of the conversation for a while?

How about letting him treat you as a princess by, oh . . . I don't know . . . opening all the doors?

Guys want to be treated like men and to be appreciated for what they do.

Learn that, and you'll do well.

- Bro Jo

Sarah said...

Brother Jo, as a young woman who demands that all doors be opened for me, sitting in the car while the guy fiddles with the keys and the door can be embarassing for both the guy and the girl. My mom has always unlocked the door for my dad and I have always unlocked the door for my dates too. I'm not talking about reaching over and opening his door . . . nor am I talking about cutting up all his food. You talk in extreemes! I'm talking about unlocking the door for heaven's sake! In most cases that involves poking a silly button! My dates have always thanked me. I don't believe I fell of the pedestal in doing so. I have always been treated like a princess and I have always treated my date as a prince.