Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Dating the Pre-Mi - Take 2

Bro Jo-

I'm starting to wonder how many of these emails I get to send before you stop answering them. This is my fourth, I think. Thanks so much for the continued willingness to help!

This time around, my question is simpler than past ones have been. (Or, at least, I think it is.)

I'm 17 and about to begin my senior year of high school. I met a boy this summer at EFY who just graduated from another school nearby. He's older than me by about 15 months. He's a wonderful guy- worthy Priesthood holder, very respectful, lots of fun. As we've gotten to know each other a little bit over the past few weeks, he's helped me realize that I'd be happy with nothing less than a marriage to a worthy Priesthood holder in the temple, because he just carries a spirit with him that I know I can only find with that kind of guy. He's leaving for a mission in a few months, in October.

I've already told him that if he'll give me an address, I'll write him letters every now and then. He seemed to think that was pretty cool. If it wasn't obvious already, I'd surrre like to go on a date or two with this guy. He's someone I'm comfortable around and someone I can have fun with because my standards aren't in jeopardy with him. And from the way he interacts with me, I'm about 108% sure that it wouldn't be that difficult to get him to ask me.

Now, the question. Is that at all inappropriate? I'm not looking for a relationship...I don't at all want to distract him from serving his mission and I sure don't want to put myself through the heartache of a boyfriend who will be absent for two years. But do you think that my..uh..turning up the charm to get a date would make it hard for him to focus on what he's getting ready to do?

-Unsure


Dear Unsure,

Nah, I think you're OK to go on a few dates with him. The challenge is that you're still "Casual Group Dating Age" (and frankly as a Pre-Mi he is too); if you both commit to making your dates group dates (see Bro Jo's DATING RULES for TEENS), the opportunities to be tempted will be fewer, so I'd keep your dates from being one-on-one.

I say "date him"!

Just make sure he does the asking.

You know what I mean.


- Bro Jo

No comments: