Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Does She Want to be a Date or a Girlfriend?

Dear Bro Jo,

I am a 16 year old girl who is currently crushing on a friend (big surprise). He is a super sweet guy and is fun to be around. He turns 16 in soon so I have some waiting to do, but I'm OK with that. I've already set my standards and plan on not dating exclusively, but I don't think he has the same standards as I do.

My problem is I don't know how to drop hints that I'm interested once he's 16, and I don't know how to make it clear what my standards are.

I only get to see him at stake dances and activities and we've been friends for about 2 years now. I want to let him know I'm interested but don't want to come on too strong or want our friendship to become awkward.

Any tips?

-A Little Confused


Dear LC,

Let me ask: to what end?

Do you want to go on Casual Group Dates with this boy? Will you be content to go out with him once in a while both of you also go out with other people?

Or are you looking to be his girlfriend?

Are you hoping to have a relationship?

Hold his hand . . . possibly do a little kissing?

Whatever your answer, you will soon be leaving the "friends" territory because, as you know if you've been reading my columns, "Men can't stay 'Just Close Friends'" . . .

But then, I don't believe you'd be satisfied with that either . . .

- Bro Jo

PS; As far as "tips" on letting him know your standards and that you'd like him to take you out, nothing works better than Communication; try just . . . Telling him. Tell him what your standards are. Tell him that when he turns 16 you hope he's smart enough to ask you out.

No comments: