Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Stealing Another Guy's Girl - Part 2

Hey Bro. Jo,

I took a home econ. class my senior year and we talked about all this dating stuff and when it came to the casual group dating subject everyone frowned on it. So if I did go up to this girls boy friend and tell him all that, he would probably deck me in the face.

I guess this is where the whole, one foot in the world and one in the kingdom thing really starts to come to play...

I guess I need to decide where I stand. I know everything will turn out right in the end with the lords help...

Gee Wiz I hate being a teenager...

Signed,

Back for more



Dear Back,

Ha! I totally understand: being a teen can be rough going. But it's not all bad; if it was there wouldn't be so many of us old people saying "if I could only go back knowing what I know now . . ."

Flirting can be a weird thing. Does she really like you? Is she just using you to prove to herself that guys think she's attractive? Is she trying to make the boyfriend jealous? Or is it all just harmless, meaningless fun?

That can be tough to say . . .

Especially if you don't know her well (or as well as you may think). Heck, it could be all or some of the above!

So maybe instead of talking to him you just talk to her.

When it comes to "stealing another guy's girl" I think I've been on both sides of every situation.

There was the "best friend" that made out with my new girlfriend while I was out of town; a myriad of girls that I asked out that friends liked (some I knew about, some I didn't) because those friends were too slow, too shy, or the type of guys that claimed every pretty girl within 100 miles to be their unspoken soul mate; the girls I never asked out because friends liked them (only to find out that those girls preferred me over the other guys); the girlfriend I caught making out with her ex-boyfriend when I stopped by her house to give her flowers; and probably every other scenario you can imagine.

Like you and I have said: being a teen can be hard!

So, I guess what I'm saying is "talk to her"; tell her you like her but you don't want to make her boyfriend mad. As I said, at least then you'll know.

If you don't talk to her you'll always wonder "what if?"


- Bro Jo

PS - I think there's a reason the Lord sends guys on missions from 19-21 . . . when you get back you'll understand what I mean.

2 comments:

Bananaboat said...

BroJo,

Hey, it's me. Thanks for the column answer to my comment question! Now I have a new one.
I know your opinion of when guys hug a girl, but what about when they just touch her? I mean, not badly or awkwardly, but when they just put their hands on her shoulders and brush up against her every given opportunity. And what about the half hug? The hands or arm on shoulders, but not really pulling you in? Thanks.

Bro Jo said...

Hi. It's actually better if you send questions to me via email (dearbrojo@gmail.com) or post them to the Facebook fan page. (Questions posted as comments to previous columns can get missed.)

A great way to find previous columns I may have written on any given subject is to use the Google Search bar near the top of the page.

You can also jump to columns by subject under the "Labels" section on the left.

Sometimes touching is just being kind or expressive, often though, if we're talking about teen-aged guys, it means more.

- Bro Jo