Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Patriarchal Blessings

Dear Bro Jo,

What's your take on when we should have our kids get their Patriarchal Blessings?

- Mom in Memphis



Dear Memphis,

This really is one of those personal decisions that I can't give a blanket answer for, but I do feel that many parents have their children wait too long.

First and foremost, let's get out in the open that this should be the child's decision, not necessarily Mom and Dad's; a Patriarchal Blessing is, after all, a very personal thing. That said, don't stand idly by and say nothing either. Your children will look to you for direction on this as in all things.

Our decision as parents was to encourage our children to actively seek out the Patriarch before their Freshman year of High School. Most of them chose to request the blessing some time between then and their 15th birthday.

See, Doctrinally your Patriarchal Blessing isn't going to be wildly different given your age, so it's not as if waiting until the child is 16, 17, 18, or even 25 is going to result in a different blessing than at 13 or 14; and I think most everyone realizes that. What I often hear is that the child's understanding of the blessing will be different, and that's certainly true, but then, don't we as adults also get something new out of our own blessings as we grow in maturity and understanding?

(I hope all of us are taking our Patriarchal Blessings out and reading them at least annually)

Now I've also said that certain things should wait for a certain age, for several reasons, not the least of which is to increase their value. My wife makes the point that High School is a very difficult time in one's life (for most of us), and that's a large part of why we encourage our children to seek a Patriarchal Blessing when we do: it's just another very valuable spiritual tool for a young person to have.

- Bro Jo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm It really should be the kid who decides, though if the parents feel that the kid isn't worthy (e.g. things they have been up which they shouldn't) then I think the parents so should step in. Mind I did get mine when I was either 13/14 and it helped me quite a bit :D

Brandon said...

I think it does depend on the kid. But I think he or she needs to know about it long ahead of time, as you mentioned, before actually deciding to get it.

I just turned fifteen and I have long decided I would get it at the age of sixteen. Since I made that decision, I have been preparing myself for a long time now, for when that day comes.

For me, since I'll start dating at the age of sixteen, and I'll also be driving, and I'll be move social with friends and hanging out more often, I see the age of sixteen (for me) being a great time to get a patriarchal blessing. Since that will be the time of much change in my life and I am sure I will need it. But like I said, I am trying to prepare myself better for it.

- B. R. Griffin

Bro Jo said...

Brilliant!

"Be prepared" . . . sounds like something that would make a good slogan . . . or motto . . .

Thanks for Writing In!

- Bro Jo