Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Attitude Change

Dear Bro Jo,

I very much do enjoy all your entries on your blog and regularly read them. I marvel a the way you find time to answer so many questions with a large family.

I'm a little confused as to what exactly I'm aiming to ask here but here goes.

I seem to attract people i don't like on a level any higher than friends. They are very witty people so I often find myself laughing a lot during conversation. I do enjoy talking to them. It's refreshing to talk to someone who thinks differently to my regular company. All of a sudden though, our conversations become a lot more frequent and hints are dropped. I realize than that there is probably something more felt on their side than on mine.

also, sometimes there will be a young man that looks fairly excluded. As much as i would like to start talking to them, i get worried that maybe they would take my kindness the wrong way and the best i can do is gather up my brothers and send them off to talk to him or bring them with me.

I think i probably sound quite conceited and one could easily be left thinking "well if i were in her circumstance i would be happy i had any one after me at all!"

The problem is though that i am utterly useless at attracting any one i actually fancy and am left with awkward situations with people that fancy me.

I suppose my questions are, how can i avoid or resolve situations with people i aren't interested in above acquaintances and how can I improve my situation with people i do quite fancy. (daring not to think that the problem is likened to to mine.)

I think the answer is right in front of me but I am too head strong to realize.

Yours Sincerely,

Head strong



Dear HS,

OK. Two issues here.

1) What should you do when someone you don't like likes you?

and

2) How do you get the guys you like to take an interest?

Honestly, I think the best solution to your problem is to change your thinking about what type of guys you like. Maybe you should spend some time discovering what's attractive about the guys that like you, and less time worrying about the guys who show no interest.

Frankly I think you're just doing that because it's "safe". You know, nothing ventured nothing gained; no risk no fear.

Allow yourself to be dated. (Casual Group Dates if you're pre-adult.)

Sister Jo says that one of the worst things a young woman can do is advertise that she's not interested in dating. Change your attitude, and you might be surprised who gets the courage to ask you out.

- Bro Jo

No comments: