Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Friday, March 19, 2010

The Un-date

Dear Bro Jo,

I'm in a weird and awkward situation. A couple of weeks ago a decent guy whom I liked asked me out on a date. We had planned to go out on the Saturday of the week he asked me out. However, due to some unforeseen circumstances, we had to pros-pone this date. Now during the week he had asked me out, we would casually text one another. But since the "postponing" of our date I haven't heard from him since. I saw him at a Stake Activity we had but he didn't approach me and he was visibly and purposely ignoring me. I feel really disheartened by his insensitivity and I don't know what to do about this situation.

I get the clear idea that he obviously doesn't want this date anymore, but I would rather him tell me straight to my face than pretend and act like he never asked me out in the first place. I'm quite confused at the moment. The last thing I want is any awkward tension between me and him. But inevitably that seems to be the case now. What's your take on this situation??? Why is this guy acting like I don't exist anymore??? And what should I do???

From Confused.



Dear . . . Confused,

Why is he acting this way?

Who knows???

Why does anybody do the crazy things they do?

He found someone else . . . he's a loser who would rather play video games . . . he's realized you like different music than he does . . .

Does it really matter?

He was smart enough to ask you out, and dumb enough to change his mind. When enough time passes, if you can back him into a corner, you can ask him. "Hey, so how come you flaked out on that date you asked me out on? Are you a weird-y or is there something wrong with me?"

But before you do, ask yourself: do you really want to know his answer?

Awkward tension is just a part of relationships and life; I'm sorry but you're just going to have to accept that.

Yeah, it would be nice if he manned up and told you the truth, but then again maybe he's too nice of a guy . . .

It's like everything: Communication is the key.

I'd give it one more shot at asking him what happened, in person, NOT via text. Do it with a sense of humor and for your own peace of mind. Whatever he says, laugh it off.

Maybe it's simply a misunderstanding.

But, if I were you, I'd already be moving on.

- Bro Jo

No comments: