Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Music: Uplifting and Down-pushing

Hey Bro Jo,

This isn't really a dating question but what is your opinion on what is "good" music and what is "bad" music? And how do you tell the difference?

- TP


Dear TP,

Good question!

I like all kinds of music, from old-time twangy country to inner-city hip-hop (at least the edited / cleaner stuff); I'm a bit of an audiophile (have I ever mentioned that I've DJ'd a little and used to have a show on Talk Radio?) so I'm typically open to new stuff, have a passion for the classics, and appreciate most any talent, especially if it's well-played music accompanied by a provocative lyric.

But I think for this discussion we may want to define what we mean by "Good" and "Bad".

Let's start by looking at "Good" music that's also "uplifting" - while I think the music that each of us might find Uplifting is going to vary a bit, we can probably agree on the elements it needs to have.

To begin with, I think Uplifting Music needs to literally "elevate the Spirit", giving the listener a sense of gratitude for Heavenly Father, Our Savior, and the Blessings we've received.

Thinking a bit out of the traditional box, I'd have to say that I feel that way when I listen to Patriotic Marches and certain film scores. The music reminds me of how I fell about certain things or have felt in certain moments.

Let me also add to this discussion that, probably from all my years teaching, I'm always looking for things that remind me of, or are types and shadows of, Christ. (Remind me some day to share with you "The Infinite parallels between Star Wars and the Gospel")

To that end, given the right mood, I've found these titles to be some of what I'd call "good" (even uplifting):

"Drive" by Incubus
"Awake and Alive" by Skillet
"Spirit in the Sky" by Norm Greenbaum
"Higher" by Creed
"Hey Tomorrow" by Jim Croce
"Kiss from a Rose" by Seal
"I Believe" by Blessed Union of Souls
"Would You Go with Me" by Josh Turner

There's more, obviously, but you get the idea: I think good Music can come in many forms.

As far as "bad" for me, being a music nut, there are two kinds - the musically awful (IMHO "Hamster Dance" tops this list, along with, sorry to say, "Cotton-eyed Joe") and what I call "down-pushing" (my version of the opposite of "uplifting") - I literally think of down-pushing music as stuff that brings one a little closer to Satan.

For me, music qualifies as "down-pushing" for one of three reasons

a) how it makes you feel (and/or act) when you listen to it

b) what the lyrics are about (even if the tune is good - some opera is really vile - I've been sad more than once when I've discovered what the lyrics really are - or are about - to a tune I liked) - some songs could be Very Uplifting, but the lyricist messes them up with one line or drops the F-bomb and it wrecks it - often in those cases I go scrambling for the Radio Edit or by the CD from Wal-Mart - which sells only the edited stuff.

c) the character of the person signing or the band they're with - many singers or groups - throughout history - don't exactly live as examples of Christ - I can ignore most of that, but some people are downright evil - no need to mention them here - and that, for me, is a deal breaker

And I'd like to add here that no genre has a lock on Uplifting and Pure. I sat miserably though one Church lesson as a well-meaning but clearly musically ignorant Adult Sunday School teacher declared that all Rock was Evil and all Opera was of God (and I can tell you, as someone who was forced to study opera in college, much of that is, in fact, quite vulgar). I think each song, each band, each artist, each composer, needs to be evaluated individually.

So . . .

What do You think?

- Bro Jo



Dear Bro Jo -

Thank you Bro Jo for that insight.

I know that there are some bands or singers that can have very good songs that are very uplifting and other songs that are not so uplifting and one band that comes to mind is Nickelback their song "If Everyone Cared" is very uplifting to me along with some other songs but they also have very bad songs that I can't stand to listen to.

And I was in seminary today and we were reading the story about the general authority who sat by Mick Jagger on an airplane and it was really interesting the conversation that took place between them about the music that mick jagger played and why he did it.

In seminary we weren't learning about so much the bad music, my teacher used that story to illustrate priest-crafts but the music side got me thinking about the messages that singers are trying to make just to make money and they don't care about what happens to the people influenced by their music.

- TP


Dear TP -

I'm with you on Nickleback . . .

And it saddens me that some otherwise talented and intelligent people seem to be very willing to play that role for what seems to amount to nothing more than money and fame. (Sister Jo will argue that their lack of intelligence is indicated by their actions)

Great discussion. Thanks for your permission to post it here in the column.

- Bro Jo

6 comments:

Grace H. McClain said...

Sometimes when I'm mad, I go for a drive and blare the heavy metal. Yes, it's loud and sometimes angry music, but it allows me to vent out my anger. It eventually progresses to soft, quiet music as the drive goes on. Is that healthy? I had a counselor tell me, yes, it was. But when I'm angry, I certainly don't feel the spirit.

RenegadeExpress said...

I'm a classical musician and perhaps as a result, I'm really into progressive metal. To me beauty= contrast, especially in music, so the heavier and softer a band is the better. Do you think certain music could uplift some people but down-push others based on how they interpret it? Cause some of the darkest, hardest music to me inspires me to develop my talents, create my own uplifting music, and aggressively purse life in general. Even if the darker parts make me feel a little depressed, what media would ever be good if there wasn't that contrast to make the uplifting parts more sweet?

Alexa Slaughter said...

Great insights on music. I think you laid it down pretty well here. Thanks!

And I personally would LOVE to hear your Star Wars parallels to the gospel.

Bro Jo said...

Do I think some music can uplift some and push down others?

Maybe.

Sure.

But I also think some stuff is universally bad. Just like some stuff is universally good.

And part of that may also be reflected on your knowledge. As I may have mentioned before, I've known people to think that something was great / uplifting, and for them it was, but had they a clue about the lyrics they probably wouldn't feel the same (and that's been true of everything from Hip-hop to Opera).

I guess the only other thing I should say is that, while sorrow can make joy that much sweeter, and there's opposition in all things, I'm not going to waste time seeking out stuff that's depressing.

- Bro Jo

Priest Family - Laura said...

Couldn't agree with Bro Jo more on the Hamster Dance.

I'm a music major, and I'm not so much picky about music as I am just really confident about what I know I like and what I know I don't like. I find most music that is played on the "hottest radio stations" tends to have some of the crappiest music I've ever heard. The lyrics are mostly revolting and completely thoughtless. A lot of people (even my fellow music majors) say things like "but that singer has such a great voice, (s)he's amazing", and sure, maybe they do have talent, but the provocative lyrics and the behavior of many of today's pop-stars is just really inappropriate.

Personally, I don't listen to music so much as I just play it. I find when I'm really ticked off about something or just am feeling down, playing/listening to something dark and instrumental like Rachmaninoff or Holst and others is a healthy way I think to release some frustration. (not to mention tons of fun, too hahaha) Then moving onto something calm and Chopin/Debussy-like or some country or songs like the ones you mentioned above are great for any-day any-mood music and are nice for mood-lifting.
Neat discussion. :)

Bro Jo said...

There's now a Discussion on the Facebook Page on this very topic!

Thanks, JP!

- Bro Jo

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=52304699634&topic=14858