Things to know

Regularly read by 50,000+ readers in over 140 countries around the world, "Dear Bro Jo" is published several times a month.

This is column is just one guy's opinion, and while he does his best to keep what he thinks, says and writes in-line with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "Dear Bro Jo" is not an LDS Church website. (And Sister Jo thinks you should know that he's sometimes wrong, and often way too opinionated for his own good.)

Nothing here is meant to take the place of talking with parents, leaders, or Church authorities. Please, if you need serious help, talk to a trusted adult, leader, and / or professional counselor.

Please like our Facebook page, and check it often for Discussions, Notes, Events and just General Good Stuff!

Everything here is copyrighted. If you're going to quote any part of anything here, please get Bro Jo's written permission. You can reach him at dearbrojo@gmail.com.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Instead of "Hanging Out" One-on-One, Teens Should Host Video Parties and Game Nights

Dear Bro Jo

Okay so I am a senior in High School and my parents have just moved me across the country for my Senior Year. Before I had started school I attended youth conference with an old friend so I could mingle and meet people.

Well I did meet someone: a guy. I guess you could say we hit it off: he initiated a conversation on the first day, and then the next night at the dance, he asked me to dance. As it turns out, I did end up at the same school that he goes to. We have been running into each other for a couple weeks now. We have the same seminary hour and we usually manage to always run into each other at the end of the day.

We used to have the same lunch hour until I had to drop my lunch to make room for an extra class. He noticed when I wasn't at lunch and asked me why I wasn't there; I can usually spot him from across campus sometimes smiling and waving, and when I showed up at a school party type thing he came right over to me and offered me food and a drink, etc. and he stayed with me and talked with me for most of the time, until he had to leave. He always opens doors for me, and he is a real gentleman. He has mentioned a few times that we should hang out, but we haven't ever actually made plans. Still, I have never had this much attention from a cute guy.

I think I am starting to really like him, but I am really self conscious and can’t tell if he is interested or if he is just being friendly because I am new... Should I initiate a hang out session? Or should I just let it be and if it happens it happens?

Its been eating me up, and I guess since you seem to know relationships, and I am assuming since you are a man, you know teenage boys, you could maybe shed some insight....?


Thanks!

Not Sure



Dear Not Sure,

Well . . . if I do say so myself . . . I know TONS about relationships, especially when it comes to LDS Teens and Young Single Adults (thus this column). And yeah, I'm a guy (that's the "Bro" part of "Bro Jo") - more than that, I'm a dad who's been through the dating thing with teens of my own. No, you shouldn't initiate a you-and-he hang out session; having a bunch of people over for a video party or game night and happening to invite him is a GREAT idea!

Why not plan one or two for during the holiday school break?

Now, I think I have an idea of what you want when you say "let it happen", and if I'm right (and I think I am), I don't think you should be pushing for a boyfriend at this time in your life. I think it would be great for him to take you on Casual Group Dates; heck, I think you should go on Casual Group Dates with lots of different guys; "it" can wait until after you're out of high school.

- Bro Jo

No comments: